This soup is healthy and delicious all in one comforting bowl. It's also vegan and gluten-free!
My name is Lauren and I eat soups all year long.
There I said it. Yes, some people think it's strange to eat a bowl of hot soup when it's 80 degrees out. Not me. Bring it on! I prefer soup with vegetables in there. Lots and lots of vegetables. Add some pasta, rice or quinoa and I am even happier. And I don't like when my soups are too thick and creamy. Did I mention that I was a really picky eater?
All of a sudden it just got really cold. Like crazy, windy, 40-50 degrees cold. This is where my obsession with soup comes in handy. Now people won't think I am crazy for making soup all the time. And they even want some of my soup. I'll share (a little) sometimes.
- I medium onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 cans black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 can pinto beans rinsed and drained
- ½ cup frozen corn
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes I used fire roasted
- 1 large ripe avocado sliced for garnish
- cilantro chopped for garnish
- tortilla chips chopped for topping
- diced jalapeños optional for topping
- Heat onion, garlic and olive oil in a skillet for 3-4 minutes until softened over medium heat.
- Add chili powder, coriander and cumin and stir to combine. Cook 3-4 more minutes.
- Add broth, water, beans, corn, pepper and tomatoes. Mix well.
- Bring to a boil, cover and let simmer on low for 20-25 minutes.
- Top with avocado, tortilla chips, jalapeños or whatever toppings you'd like.
I am in love with these Trader Joe's Organic Tortilla Chips. Please ignore the blurry picture, I let my 5 year old take it. I figured it was just a picture of a bag of chips, how bad could the picture come out? THIS is how bad...
But you get the idea. They are delicious. I love that they are organic and have quinoa and chia seeds in them. And they taste extra delicious with this soup! Hope you enjoy the soup too!