This Spiked Apple Cider is warm, comforting, with a hint of citrus and a kick of rum! No added sugar in here and it's still delicious and will be ready in 10 minutes.
Picture this... pure, delicious fall coziness in a glass... Or two....no judgment here...
I love the fall. I love whipping out my boots, sweaters and cozy jackets (like I did this past weekend).
I am so excited for the cool, crisp air, the beautiful changing colors of the leaves, the pumpkins and scarecrows, the layers of clothes and let’s not forget the red wine!
But then, wouldn’t you know it, it was 75 degrees today. Seriously?
No. I’m over the heat.
Bring on the fall. For real this time.
Of course I am sure I will be complaining about the cold water in a few weeks, but that's just because we usually skip fall and go straight to winter! That really annoys me.
Ok, back to my cozy clothes and red wine. I mean, spiked apple cider. And crazy amounts of cozy.
This Spiked Apple Cider does taste delicious with my Chocolate Peppermint Muffins, Cranberry Biscotti, Low Carb Blondie, Chocolate Mousse Cake, Pecan Cheesecake Bars or a Low Carb Homemade Snickers Bar too.
If you are looking for a super cozy, nonalcoholic drink then my Apple Chai Latte Chamomile Latte or my Low Carb Bulletproof Hot Chocolate are for you! Or I guess you could make this without the rum...
Why You Should Make This Spiked Apple Cider
This spiked apple cider is always a huge crowd pleaser and everyone always loves it. Just make sure the kids know it's an adult beverage.
It's easy to make a mistake! I intentionally made some minus the rum for my kids and they loved it. I just had to mark the pitcher so we knew which one was which!
I love that it will be ready in 10 minutes so it's easy to whip up right before your guests arrive.
I didn't think this needed any added sugar, it was sweet enough on its own. You can add some sugar or even a sugar free alternative (like stevia, erythritol or monk fruit) if you'd like.
I would say leave it out at first and add sweetener to taste. It really depends on your personal tastes.
There are many people who like their cocktails sweet, just not me. Again, this cocktail is so versatile and can be made exactly how you like it.
I like to make a pitcher of it when we are entertaining. And I typically use orange zest and just have some fresh slices of lemon and orange available and have people choose what they want.
It's definitely a personal preference. And please don't get me wrong, I like them with both lemon AND orange, I just prefer the orange.
- Apple cider - Make sure you don't forget to buy some fresh apple cider when you go apple picking! Fresh apple cider is the most delicious so try to remember when you are at a local farm. Just be careful, unpasteurized, or fresh apple cider, may contain bacteria that cause illness. Harmful bacteria must be killed before you drink the cider, which would then make it pasteurized. In order to do this, heat cider to at least 160 degrees Fahrenheit to kill off that harmful bacteria.
- Whole cloves - Not only are these fun with their unique shape, they are strong and pungent and add a bunch of flavor to this spiked apple cider.
- Orange juice - Fresh juice is best in this recipe. I promise it's worth it.
- Orange Zest - Always add an extra pop of citrus.
- Ginger - I use fresh ginger for that added spiciness.
- Rum or brandy - I personally love using Spiced Rum in this recipe but many people have told me they used brandy and it was delicious.
- Cinnamon sticks (optional for garnish) - I also love to stir these fun cocktails with cinnamon sticks, which you can buy at any grocery store or buy them here. They are in the spices and seasonings aisle and not only look fun and festive, but they add a little spice to it. My kids even like to use them as straws, although they are technically "green" and safer for the environment, but they don't really work that well!
How To Make This Spiked Apple Cider
Place all of the ingredients except the rum in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Let simmer on low for 10 minutes.
Remove from heat and drain in a fine mesh colander so only the liquid is reserved.
Stir in rum and mix well to combine.
Serve warm, Add extra cinnamon sticks as garnish if desired.
Recipe FAQ's and Expert Tips
I bet whiskey would be great in here as well. It will give your spiked cider a spicier warm taste, while rum will give it a sweeter taste. I also think Fireball (cinnamon whiskey) would be a fun addition to this.
You can make your mulled cider, strain it and then cool it. When you are ready to serve, just return the mulled cider to a saucepot and gently reheat but do not bring to a boil.
This Spike Apple Cider will keep in the fridge in an airtight container for 3-5 days. The liquor and garnishes may be added immediately after cooking the cider.
Spiked Apple Cider
- ½ gallon apple cider
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- ½ inch grated ginger
- ¼ cup spiced rum or brandy
- Place all of the ingredients except the rum in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Let simmer on low for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and drain in a fine mesh colander so only the liquid is reserved.
- Stir in rum. Serve warm, Add extra cinnamon sticks as garnish if desired.