A one pot vegan red lentil, carrot, quinoa and kidney bean curry ready in 30 minutes. The perfect healthy weeknight meal. Gluten Free too.
Hi everyone! Thanks so much to Lauren for the chance to guest post on her blog while she is recovering! For those who aren't familiar with me, I'm Vicky from Avocado Pesto. My food blog is focused on healthy cooking from scratch with recipes catering to a variety of restrictive diets (including dairy-free, gluten-free, vegan, etc).
Over three years ago I quit my job to backpack around the world with my boyfriend, and I've been traveling ever since. Two years of intense backpacking through Asian and Europe, followed by a five month US road trip, two months of house sitting in Central America and now living and backpacking through South America. Food has to be one of my favorite aspects of travel and I love nothing more than learning about the local ingredients and cuisine.
The various taste profiles and flavors have inspired my cooking over the years and continue to shape the way in which I cook.
After months in Asia I picked up a ton of cooking tips and learned about the various ingredients. Cue this vegan red lentil, carrot, quinoa, bean curry. This is a fusion meal inspired by my travels to both Asia and South America. A creamy curry is more reminiscent of the South East Asian countries and India, but beans, quinoa and avocados are closer to the Central and South American cuisine.
I choose to combine the two worlds in one plate. This one pot meals starts with cooking garlic and carrots, to which red lentils and spices are added before being topped off with quinoa and broth. Once that is cooked the peanut butter and kidney beans are added. I loved the creamy nuttiness that the peanut butter adds, and quinoa and red lentils have long been some of my favorite ingredients to cook with.
The final dish is a rich and creamy curry infused quinoa and lentil meal. Serve topped with a generous squeeze of lime juice and freshly diced avocado. A true fusion of opposite sides of the world.
Thanks again Lauren for having me on your site and hoping your recovery is going well!
vegan lentil curry stew
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 carrot peeled and diced
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 - 2 teaspoons diced red chili pepper optional
- 3-4 cups vegetable broth
- salt/pepper to taste
- ½ cup quinoa
- ¼ cup crunchy peanut butter optional
- 1 can red kidney beans
- for garnish: lime juice and diced avocado
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a pan.
- Add garlic and carrot. Cook for a few minutes.
- Add red lentils, cumin, turmeric, red chili peppers and salt to taste. Cook for 1-2 minutes, mixing everything thoroughly.
- Add vegetable broth and quinoa. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, or until quinoa is cooked through.
- Add peanut butter and kidney beans. Mix. (Optional: add a bit more broth if mixture is too dry)
- Serve garnished with lime juice and diced avocado.
Wow! I love a hearty vegan dish and these flavors sound amazing! Thank you so much Vicky!