Raise your hand if you love some comfort food this time of year! Not all of our favorite comfort foods have to be loaded with fat.
This wonderful stew is a perfect example of just that.
Kale seems to be the “it” green vegetable right now. Wonder why?
It is packed with tons of calcium, folic acid, and vitamins A , K and C. Diets that are high in Vitamin K help protect against cancer. Kale is just as versatile as spinach, cabbage and chard in a variety of recipes.
Yes, it is one of the healthiest vegetables around. It’s also loaded with healthy fiber that helps keep you full and your heart healthy ♥
I know kale doesn’t have the most appetizing reputation, but here is one recipe that will prove that wrong!
With that being said, I get it, if you truly don’t like the taste or texture of kale. I know all about food aversions (even though kale isn’t one of them).
If you really don’t like kale you can easily substitute spinach or another leafy green of your choice. It will also be as delicious and healthy.
Again, I get it.
Do what makes you happy. Any for Pete’s sake if kale doesn’t make you happy, use spinach instead.
I like to use chicken bone broth to add some extra vitamins, minerals and nutrients, but you can use whatever you have in your pantry. Bone broth helps to support a healthy digestive system and gut health, supports joint mobility and even helps with skin and nails.
Now do you see why I use bone broth?
Look how easy this stew is to make.
White Bean Vegetable and Sausage Stew
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 package turkey sausage, cut into (1/2-inch) slices
- 1 zucchini, quartered and cut into (1/2-inch) slices (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 chopped red bell pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup organic chicken broth
- 2 (16-ounce) cans cannellini beans or other white beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel
- 1/8 teaspoon dried chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups chopped trimmed kale (about 1/2 pound)
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté onion and sausage 5-6 minutes or until sausage is browned. Add zucchini, mushrooms and garlic; cook 2 minutes. Add remaining ingredients except kale; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated Add kale and allow to wilt. Remove from stove when kale is wilted but still bright green. Serve immediately.
Serving Size 1/8 of recipe
Amount Per Serving
Calories 456 Calories from Fat 49
Total Fat 5.4g
Saturated Fat 1.1g
Trans Fat 0.0g
Total Carbohydrates 75.3g
Dietary Fiber 30.0g
*Nutritional information provided by www.caloriecount.com, not 100% guaranteed accurate
**adapted from Cooking Light
If you made this stew or any of my other recipes, please come back and let me know. I love to hear from you!
Thanks for stopping by!