Delicious and comforting, this Chicken Broccoli Corn Chowder is so simple to make!
This was one of those recipes where you just keep throwing more stuff in it, you know what I mean? It is WAY more than just a corn chowder recipe, I just didn't want to be too wordy. 🙂
I thought Chicken Broccoli Sweet-Potato Butternut Squash Bacon Mushroom Cilantro Chowder might be a little much.
So many corn chowders have bacon in them so I added some turkey bacon (nitrate/nitrite free of course) and it added just enough of that salty bacon taste that perfectly complemented the sweetness of the corn. This dish is hearty enough to be a complete meal.
Oh and I just LOVE the addition of fresh cilantro! But if you are one of those people that don't like cilantro or think it tastes like soap, you can easily omit it.
If you are looking for some more healthy soup recipes, you will love this Creamy Asparagus Soup, Easy Minestrone Soup and my Creamy Cauliflower Soup. They would all be even more delicious with some Slow Cooker Mulled Wine, Spiked Apple Cider and even these Cranberry Mojitos!
Cauliflower Chowder from Damn Delicious
Healthy Seafood Chowder from Kim's Cravings
Healthy Corn and Zucchini Chowder from the Forked Spoon
Lightened Up Seafood Chowder from The Lemon Bowl
Please feel free to follow me on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram! Thanks for stopping by!
Chicken Broccoli Corn Chowder
- 5 slices bacon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion chopped
- ½ cup mushrooms chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups butternut squash peeled, seeded and cubed
- 2 medium sweet potatoes peeled, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon thyme dried
- 16 ounces frozen corn
- 1 cup milk
- 1½ cups broccoli chopped
- 2 cups chicken shredded
- ½ cup plus ¼ cup green onions chopped
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook bacon in large pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat until crisp. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain.
- Add butter to pot; melt over medium-high heat. Add onions and mushrooms. Sauté until onions are soft, about 5 minutes. Add flour; stir 2 minutes.
- Mix in broth, then squash, sweet potatoes, and thyme; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer uncovered until squash and potatoes are tender, about 10-12 minutes.
- Add corn, milk, and broccoli. Simmer until corn and broccoli are tender, about 10 minutes. Add chicken, ½ cup green onions, and ½ cup cilantro; simmer 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- To store in the refrigerator: Place cooled corn chowder in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- To store in the freezer: Place cooled chowder in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 6 months. Defrost overnight in the refrigerator and pour into a saucepan and reheat.
This hearty corn chowder recipe is so easy to make and loaded with veggies and flavor! SO GOOD!
This had the perfect flavor!
This was SO delicious! Super hearty and filling but still made with good-for-you ingredients. My family loved it and can't wait for me to make it again!
Such a yummy way to eat veggies! You didn't say how much flour to add, so I used 1/4 a cup and it worked great. 🙂
I have to agree with the reviews. This is a wonderful way to pack in veggies. It's perfect for a chilly day.
We loved this soup! You can pack in so many veggies and it turns out delicious every time. It's hearty, comforting and healthy all at the same time!
Megan @ MegUnprocessed
Such a flavorful recipe!
Lauren, this sounds perfect, I adore corn chowder. Just need the weather to get a bit cooler so I can make it. Pinned.
Thank you sweet Joan! XO