I made this dish both vegetarian for me and then I added some sweet turkey sausage for my husband. In both cases, it was delicious. Quinoa is a perfect high protein alternative to rice and pasta. It is actually a seed and not a grain, even though it has a similar texture to grains. This is the perfect, fall, comfort food. Typically, most comfort foods are laden with fat and calories. Nope, not this one.
Mushroom and Squash Quinoa Risotto
- 1 cup quinoa rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth can also use chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon butter**
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 onion minced
- 2 cups butternut squash diced
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon oregano dried
- 1/2 teaspoon marjoram dried
- 1/2 teaspoon sage dried
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup grated Asiago cheese can also use Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound sweet turkey sausage cooked and sliced* optional
- Place quinoa and broth into a pot. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cover and reduce heat to low, simmer for 15-20 minutes until all liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile while quinoa is cooking, place butter, garlic and onions into large skillet. Cook over medium heat 3-4 minutes until onions are translucent. Add squash and let cook for 10 minutes or until squash softens.
- Add mushrooms and seasonings, stir to combine. pour in the white wine and mix again. Let cook for a few minutes until all the wine is absorbed. Add cooked quinoa to skillet and thoroughly combine.
- If desired, add asiago cheese and sliced sausage in and mix well. Serve immediately and enjoy
- ** I used a tablespoon of butter in this recipe because I thought it added richness to the vegetables. You can also make with olive or grapeseed oil as well.
Serving Size 1/5 of recipe
Amount Per Serving
Calories 208 Calories from Fat 43
Total Fat 4.8g
Saturated Fat 1.8g
Trans Fat 0.0g
Total Carbohydrates 30.7g
Dietary Fiber 4.1g
*Nutritional information provided by www.caloriecount.com and is not 100% guaranteed accurate
I just love quinoa so much. I always use Bob’s Red Mill. Hope you like it! Thanks for stopping by!