I was reading my favorite magazine, Clean Eating (the most recent issue, October 2012) and they had a fabulous recipe for Clean Gooey Peanut Butter Brownies! Wait, what?? How amazing does that sound??
I made a few changes and they came out AMAZING!! The kids loved them! Who am I kidding, I loved them too 🙂 Clean Eating Magazine, you had me at Peanut Butter!
3.5 ounces dark chocolate ( I used 70%)
3 tablespoons organic unsalted butter
2 large eggs, room temperature
1/3 cup sucanat or organic sugar (I used organic cane sugar)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/3 whole wheat pastry flour
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
3 tablespoons natural peanut butter, or my homemade peanut butter
handful of Trader Joe’s Pretzel slims (or whatever pretzels you like)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8 x 8 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place chocolate and butter in a microwavable bowl. Cook at 50% for 30 seconds and then stir to mix. Continue to microwave in 30 second increments until completely melted. **Be careful not to overcook and continue to stir.
- Stir in sugar, eggs and vanilla until thoroughly combined. Add flour and cocoa powder until mixed and no signs of flour are left, but be careful not to overmix.
- Place pretzel thins on the bottom of sprayed pan. Pour batter on top of pretzels. Slowly add teaspoons of peanut butter on top of batter and swirl through batter.
- Place some more pretzels on top of peanut butter brownie batter.
- Bake 15-20 minutes until toothpick comes out clean when placed in the center of pan. Allow to cool completely before removing from pan. ENJOY 🙂