This delicious creamy asparagus soup is so simple to make, healthy, gluten free, dairy free, vegan and low carb! This yummy soup doesn't even have any cream in it and will be ready in no time.
Everyone has a favorite vegetable, right? Mine has always been and will always be asparagus.
The funny thing is that growing up I hated asparagus and my kids don't like it either. Hopefully they will come around and like it when they get older just like I did.
Recently, I ordered asparagus soup at a local restaurant and I instantly fell in love. I wanted to recreate it using pureed cauliflower for the "cream" and I am so happy I did.
Who else loves soup and eats it all year long?
Why You Should Make This Creamy Asparagus Soup
Please know that I am not against using heavy cream, I actually use it in many low carb recipes. But this time I really wanted to make a super light soup that is vegan, healthy and really filling.
I will always choose homemade soups over ones that come in a can for obvious reasons. They always taste better, especially when you use fresh vegetables.
This is so simple to make and will be ready in a little over 30 minutes. I love a soup with little prep time and that can stay in the refrigerator for a quick lunch or dinner for the week.
If you want to add some protein to this creamy asparagus soup, shredded chicken or white beans would be delicious and would keep it vegan.
- Extra virgin olive oil - My absolute favorite and I use it in most of my recipes.
- Onion - I used yellow onion because of its strong flavor and versatility.
- Garlic - Oh how I love my garlic. It adds so much flavor and depth especially when paired with onion.
- Asparagus - I always choose asparagus with firm stalks and smooth texture. Be careful not to choose asparagus spears that are limp and should have a rich green color.
- Cauliflower - When choosing the cauliflower head, make sure its firm and not soft. It should be white and compact.
- Vegetable Broth - I use the low sodium vegetable broth to cut back on sodium.
How To Make This Creamy Asparagus Soup
Heat olive oil in a large pot, add chopped onion, and sauté until translucent. Add garlic cloves and sauté for two more minutes until garlic is fragrant.
Chop cauliflower into florets and add them to the pot. Next, chop the asparagus (remove the hard tip, about 1’’ of the end of each asparagus) and vegetable broth to the pot. Bring the pot to simmer, covered, for 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender to a fork.
Add mixture to a food processor and pulse the soup in batches until creamy. Be careful not to overfill the food processor or the mixture will go everywhere!
trust me, I have learned this from experience.
Pour soup into 4 individual bowls and enjoy!
Recipe FAQ's and Expert Tips
Yes this soup freezes really well. Allow the soup to fully cool, pour into airtight containers and freeze for up to 6 months.
The ends of asparagus spears are very rough and should be trimmed about one inch off the bottom.
If you place the cooled soup in an airtight container it will last for up to 4 days.
Quinoa Vegetable Soup from Lauren Kelly Nutrition
The Best Chicken Soup from Ambitious Kitchen
Slow Cooker Thai Chicken Soup from Lauren Kelly Nutrition
Keto Creamy Tuscan Soup from All Day I Dream About Food
Creamy Asparagus Soup
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 pounds asparagus
- 1 small cauliflower head
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large pot, add chopped onion, and sauté until translucent. Add garlic cloves and sauté for two more minutes.
- Chop cauliflower into florets and add them to the pot. Chop the asparagus (remove the hard tip, about 1’’ of the end of each asparagus) and vegetable broth to the pot. Bring the pot to simmer, covered, for 30 minutes or until the vegetables have softened a bit.
- Add the mixture to a food processor and pulse the soup in batches until creamy. Be careful not to overfill the food processor or it will be extremely messy.
- Pour the soup into individual bowls. Serve immediately.
- Optional: select a few asparagus nice tips to garnish at the end. I usually sauté those tips with a drizzle of olive oil until slightly golden.
- This soup is absolutely creamy as it is, but feel free to add some coconut or regular heavy cream before serving.
- To store in the refrigerator: Place cooled soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- To store in the freezer: Place cooled soup in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 6 months. Defrost overnight in the refrigerator and pour into a saucepan and reheat.