Think you can't eat crab cakes because you are following a gluten-free diet? Think again. Straight from my cookbook, The Everything Wheat-Free Diet Cookbook, here are crispy Crab Cakes with a wonderful Garlic Aioli Sauce. These are great for entertaining and you make them small for an appetizer or larger for a main dish.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 green onions finely chopped
- 12 ounces jumbo lump crabmeat
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon plain Greek yogurt
- 1 ⁄2 cup plus 1 cup, wheat-free bread crumbs, divided
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon ground basil
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon ground oregano
- Salt and ground pepper to taste
- 1 ⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil for frying
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium- high heat. Sauté green onions for 1–2 minutes, until tender. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine the crabmeat, garlic, egg, Greek yogurt, 1⁄2 cup bread crumbs, cayenne pepper, green onions, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Form into small patties, about 1⁄2" thick.
- In a separate bowl, place 1 cup of bread crumbs. Dredge patties in the bread crumbs thoroughly.
- heat 1⁄2 cup oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Place crab cakes in oil and cook until golden brown, making sure to cook evenly on both sides. Once cooked, place on paper towels to drain.
Garlic Aioli Dipping Sauce
- 1 ⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 3 cloves of garlic chopped
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 ⁄4 teaspoon dried cumin
- Place all the ingredients in a small bowl and mix until thoroughly blended. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour so the flavors blend.