This dish is perfect as a main dish or even as a side with quinoa, rice or pasta. I made this without the bacon (I don't eat bacon and I wanted it meatless) but my husband said he likes it both ways. This is perfect for entertaining as well. This is really THAT good. Swear.
This is just 1 of the 300 recipes in my cookbook, The Everything Wheat-Free Diet Cookbook. Go pick yourself up a copy, I know you will love it 🙂
Tuscan Bean, Tomato, and Parmesan Casserole
Dinner, Vegetarian, Side dish, Vegan, Gluten-free, Meatless, Wheat-freePrint Pin Rate
- 4 slices bacon I omitted
- 1 ⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic chopped coarsely
- 1 medium onion peeled and chopped coarsely
- 1 ⁄2 fresh fennel bulb coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon rice flour
- 2 15-ounce cans white beans, drained and rinsed
- 16 ounces tomatoes chopped (canned is fine) I used grape tomatoes and sliced in half
- 1 medium zucchini chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 ⁄2 cup fresh Italian parsley rinsed and chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes or to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter cut into small pieces (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Fry the bacon in a skillet until almost crisp. Place on paper towels to drain. Remove all but 1 teaspoon of bacon fat from pan. Chop bacon and set aside.
- Add the oil, garlic, onion, and fennel to the skillet. Sauté over low heat for 10 minutes, or until softened but not browned.
- Blend the flour into the mixture and cook for 3 minutes, mixing well.
- Add the beans, tomatoes, and zucchini. Mix well and pour into a casserole dish.
- Add the herbs, red pepper flakes, and salt, and stir. Mix in the reserved chopped bacon.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese and butter over the top and bake for 25 minutes, or until the cheese is lightly browned.
Tried this Recipe? Pin it for Later!Mention @lkellynutrition or tag #lkellynutrition!
If you like this and the other recipes in my book, PLEASE leave me positive reviews on Amazon and Barnes & Noble. It helps to get in in the news feeds and search engines. Thank you so much!
I love this recipe. I love that you have published cookbooks--so awesome. I make a very similar pasta dish but can't wait to try this sans pasta!
I will! Gonna make it for a picnic this weekend! 🙂
This looks DELISH.... would it do well to make it in advance and put it in the fridge before cooking the next day?
Hi Heidi! Yes, I bet you could make it before hand. Let me know how you like it!