This comforting Bulletproof Hot Chocolate recipe is sugar free, low carb and packed with healthy fats! Yes, you can still enjoy your favorite seasonal drink even while watching your carbs!
'Tis the season for lots of treats, cookies and HOT CHOCOLATE!
Now that I am following a low carb(ish) and high fat diet I am really enjoying creating classic recipes and making them sugar free. This comforting mug of creamy chocolate is so delicious that my kids even loved it.
No even missed the sugar!
If you aren't familiar with Bulletproof Hot Chocolate, Coffee or Tea, basically it's adding healthy fats (like grass fed butter, ghee or coconut oil) to your preferred beverage.
MCT oil is said to help keep you full and provide you with a bunch of energy. I personally love to add ½ teaspoon- 1 teaspoon MCT oil to my tea every morning.
Many people drink Bulletproof Coffee or Tea instead of eating breakfast, but I have to eat something on some mornings.
It's been over 3 years since my last intestinal surgery and I am hoping this lifestyle will prevent it from happening again. Eating a low carb diet helps reduce inflammation in your body and that's exactly what I am hoping for.
Why You Should Make This Bulletproof Hot Chocolate Recipe
So all this talk of MCT oil and you are probably wondering what in the world MCT oil is... here ya go...
MCT oil is made up of Medium Chain Fatty Acids that are considered easily digestible and beneficial fats. Instead of being metabolized through digestion like most other foods, these fats are processed in the liver.
MCTs provide fast and lasting energy and are easily absorbed by the body, according to Wellness Mama. You can read more about it here.
MCT oil also helps keep you full which is also a huge bonus, especially in the mornings. The healthy fats in this definitely keep you full for a while, which is the whole premises of the ketogenic/low carb diet.
I promise it doesn't taste low carb at all. It's a great way to start your day or an even better way to end it as a mouth watering, delectable, delicious treat.
- Unsweetened almond milk- always read the ingredients and make sure there is no added sugar in here. I used unsweetened vanilla flavored almond milk.
- Coconut oil or MCT oil - These are a wonderful, plant-based substitute for butter, that is primarily a healthy fat. It helps keep you full and satiated.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder - Make sure you read your ingredient list, it should only say 100% cocoa and nothing else.
- Vanilla - I use pure vanilla extract which doesn’t contain any artificial flavors or additives, it’s just pure vanilla made from alcohol. I use this one.
- Erythritol or Monk fruit- I used the granular form of Monk Fruit for this recipe. The brand I use all the time is this one. You can also substitute with the sugar free alternative of your choice.
- Heavy whipping cream - This is optional for a fun, frothy topping.
How To Make This Bulletproof Hot Chocolate Recipe
This recipe is so ridiculously simple to prepare you will want to make it every day.
Simply place all of the ingredients in a blender and continue to blend until smooth.
Once finished blending, pour into a mug of your choice and top with whipped cream if desired.
See, I told you it was EASY! This only has 4 net carbs in the entire, decadent serving. Enjoy this guilt-free!
Recipe FAQ's and Expert Tips
The flavor and texture of cocoa powder and cacao powder are similar and are interchangeable - both will give a similar bitterness and depth of flavor.
As long as this hot chocolate fits into your daily macros, you can absolutely drink this every day!
Yes! You can store leftover hot chocolate in a glass jar with a lid or any air-tight container. Make sure to keep it refrigerated. To reheat hot chocolate, transfer it into a small sauce pot and heat through just until hot. Make sure to reheat it slowly over medium heat, I do not recommend microwaving it to reheat.
Bulletproof Hot Chocolate
- ½ cup hot water (not scolding hot) ( I heat mine in a small saucepan on the stove)
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or MCT oil
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- 1-2 teaspoons Erythritol
- heavy whipping cream optional
- Place all of the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Top with Heavy Whipping Cream if desired.