Lightened up, but still delicious, this strawberry cheesecake is so simple to make you will want to make it more often than just special occasions.
I have to start this post with pure, simple gratitude.
I am so grateful for all of your love and support through this difficult time. I am now home recovering from emergency abdominal surgery (and 10 very long days in the hospital) and I so thankful to you all.
It's been difficult but I've been through this before (this is my 6th abdominal surgery) and it can always be much worse. I am feeling stronger every day.
The biggest problem after abdominal surges is walking. You never realize how many of your stomach muscles you need when you want to bend down to up something, twist, sit up or walk.
Well, I am all aware after all of my surgeries.
If any of you have seen me walking around the block you know that I look like a 90 year old woman shuffling around.
It hurts my stomach to lift up my foot so I have to take baby steps.
Those baby steps will take me to an awesome recovery, I know it.
And now I have to say that I am on medication so forgive me if I seem a little loopy. Because I am.
I made this cheesecake a few days before I went into the hospital. It was crazy delicious.
And this comes from someone that doesn't even like cheesecake!
The one problem was the color. I wanted it to be pink for Valentine's Day (and just because pink is pretty) but it wasn't pink enough.
So I told myself I'd make it again with more strawberries to make it more pink just in time for Valentine's Day. Well, that's not happening.
So I am simply just going to add more strawberries in the description and these pictures will just have to do. Let's just pretend the pictures are better and I am in sound mind.
Bottom line- it's all types of amazing.
Again, so not a cheesecake lover.
I think for me the reason why I have never liked cheesecake is because I do not like cream cheese (duh). I don't even like the smell of cream cheese.
So it dawned on me, maybe if I cut the amount of cream cheese in half and add some plain Greek yogurt (which also adds protein) maybe it will taste less cream-cheese-like?
Woohoo! I was right!
It is still light, creamy and delicious, it's just not pink!
Oh well. I don't want to add artificial colors to this beauty so this color will have to do.
Good thing is tastes incredible!
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 ⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon plus 3⁄4 cup unrefined sugar divided use
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese
- 1 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice about 1⁄2 medium lemon’s worth
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups strawberries
- In a small bowl, mix together graham cracker crumbs, butter, cinnamon, and 1 tablespoon sugar. Press the mixture into the prepared pie pan, making sure to press evenly on the bottom and the sides of pan. Bake for 10 minutes.
- While baking, place strawberries in a blender until smooth. Add cream cheese, Greek yogurt, remaining sugar, vanilla extract, and lemon juice in a medium bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed. When the mixture is almost smooth, add the eggs, one at time, on low speed. Continue to beat on low speed until smooth. Pour into the pie pan and bake for 60 minutes until the edges are golden brown. The middle will not be completely set. Cool on the counter for at least 30 minutes, and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Serve cold.
isn't that cake stand so pretty? I bought it at my favorite store, Anthropologie years ago and I love it.
They have the most beautiful home goods section. It's not the cheapest but they definitely have some good sales to tae advantage of.
Happy Valentine's Day everyone! Here's to not-so-pink-but-amazing cheesecakes!
Thank you to you all for your sweet and thoughtful messages. I really appreciate it.
I have been down this road before but I feel like I am mentally able to to get my strength back up and get back to my old self.
Please come back and let me know if you made this cheese cake or any of my other recipes. I love to hear from you!
Thank you for stopping by!