Don't be intimidated by making your own crackers. These are crunchy, packed with flavor and will be ready in under 30 minutes. I use simple ingredients that you can feel good about eating.
After my surgery I ate a lot of crackers. And when I say a lot, I really mean A LOT.
Besides the obvious fact that they taste delicious, I could tolerate them, eat them, enjoy them and not get sick.
What you don't realize until you have had abdominal surgery yourself is that it takes weeks for your body to get back to normal. You have much less of an appetite and you some things make you feel down right sick.
So basically, you eat what you like, in small amounts of course.
A friend sent a lovely basket of goodies while I was in the hospital. My kids devoured the cookies and treats and left these amazing seeded crackers.
You can imagine how the first taste was. It was like a crunchy combination of herbs and salt explosion in my mouth.
I was so happy I think I was moaning eating them (no exaggeration). Can you blame me?
Not eating or drinking anything for 9 days was pretty terrible. So these crackers tasted like heaven to me.
And just like that, I finished the box.
It was at that moment I realized I needed to somehow recreate those beloved crackers maybe a little healthier and possibly gluten free.
Ok, so maybe hat seems a little dramatic but they really were divine.
I was pleasantly surprised how simple these were to make. I made them a few times, each time they were delicious.
I liked them a little thicker and apparently my husband liked the thinner ones. Just roll them out of you want them thinner.
Either way, they are super crunchy. No one has to know how easy they are to make, they look fancy!
It'll be our secret.
And you can easily make these with whatever herbs you like. I really loved how the rosemary came through in these crackers, but go ahead and get creative!
But just so you know, I absolutely love rosemary. In just about everything.
Garlic and onion crackers also sound incredibly delicious too. Don't you agree?
And to show you just how easy these crackers are to make, I made another video!
- 1 ½ cups Bobs Red Mill 1:1 Gluten Free flour
- 1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup water
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, hemp, flax, chia, salt and rosemary until throughly combined.
- Next add oil and water and mix together with your hands.
- Knead dough carefully until it becomes uniform. You might need to add an extra tablespoon or two of water if dough seems dry.
- Lightly flour a work space or baking sheet and carefully roll out the dough.
- Roll it out fairly thin, but you can leave it a little thicker if you like a thicker flatbread. Just make sure the dough is spread evenly so it cooks evenly.
- Slice flatbreads into whatever size you'd like. I made 24 rectangular-sized crackers.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 15 minutes until edges are golden brown.
- Allow to cool and break into pieces.
- Store in airtight container to keep them fresh and crispy.
Some of the edges might be a little crumbly. You can also use a whole grain or all purpose flour too if you don't need them to be gluten free.
That's what I love about this recipe, you can customize them however you like or want. Easy peasy.
These are especially delicious with Spinach Sun Dried Tomato Greek Yogurt Dip, Edamame Hummus, Avocado White Bean Hummus, Roasted Garlic White Bean Dip and my Spicy Black Bean Dip. ENJOY!
If you made these yummy gluten free crackers or any of my other recipes, please come back and let me know. You guys know that I love to hear from you!
Thank you for stopping by and please come back again soon!
I made these for a charcuterie board for a girl's night. Many of my girlfriends are gluten-free and were amazed that these were indeed gluten-free! They were gone within the first hour, and everyone asked for the recipe. This is 100% my new favorite gluten-free snack!
Loved these homemade crackers! My kids gobbled them up! So yummy with sliced cheese on top!
This is such a great recipe! I loved the process and the crackers turned out amazing!
Oh I love rosemary in crackers so much! I don't think I'd want to substitute with anything else. These would a great gluten free option for a charcuterie spread!
Made these for my gluten-free friends and they loved them!! We paired them with a giant cheese board. Thanks for a wonderful recipe!