Not all dips need to be loaded with unnecessary calories and fat. Make this once and your friends will be begging for you to make it again!
Between football games on Sundays and the holidays coming up, I am always on the hunt for healthy appetizers. This dip is perfect because it tastes like the typical unhealthy ones. But that's the best part, it IS healthy! It's low calorie, gluten-free and insanely delicious.
This dip is one of the 125 recipes in The Greek Yogurt Cookbook. Greek yogurt makes the perfect substitute for so many things! I used to make a recipe like this after college (many, many years ago) and it had sour cream and tons of cheese in it. I loathe sour cream (yes, add that to my long list) so I never ate it. But every single time I brought it to someone's house, it was always a huge hit. Although I never really understood WHY everyone loved it so much (I mean, all that sour cream!) but I knew I had to re-create this masterpiece when I wrote the cookbook. Please tell me I am NOT the only one out there that despises sour cream??
Any-ho, this is one of those recipes that's simple to make, healthy and a total crowd pleaser. And there's no nasty sour cream in there.
Spicy Black Bean Dip
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained
- 1 ⁄2 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 ⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1 ⁄2 cup salsa
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 11 ⁄2 teaspoons chopped cilantro
- 1 ⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 ⁄4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Additional cilantro and chopped tomatoes for garnish
- Mash beans in a medium bowl until chunky.
- Add Greek yogurt, tomato paste, salsa, cumin, cilantro, and cayenne pepper. Mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with feta cheese just before serving.
- Garnish with cilantro and chopped tomatoes if desired.
Fat: 0.7 g
Cholesterol: 2.6 mg
Carbohydrates: 8.5 g
Sugar: 1 g
Fiber: 1.5 g
Sodium: 103 mg
Protein: 3.6 g
See, it's pretty healthy! I like to bring healthy appetizers and dishes to parties so I am guaranteed to eat at least one or two healthy things. This is so easy that I usually make this dip. Try it! And please buy The Greek Yogurt Cookbook if you haven't already done so. You can buy here (from clicking the button on the right side) or from Amazon. Thank you!