Oh my goodness this soup is AMAZING! I literally just kind of made it up as I went along. I couldn't stop myself, I just kept adding more ingredients and it just kept getting better and better!
I think I have told you before how much I love soups, especially healthy ones. This one is ridiculously healthy too. With the kale, lentils and the quinoa, it's packed with protein, fiber and lots of nutrients.
And it tastes as amazing as it looks...
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed or olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic diced
- 1 pound turkey sausage casings removed (you can also use pork or chicken sausage)
- ½ cup carrots diced
- ½ cup onion diced
- ½ cup celery diced
- 1 tablespoon basil dried
- 1 tablespoon oregano dried
- 1 teaspoon rosemary dried
- ½ teaspoon thyme dried
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth you can also use 6 cups broth and 2 cups water
- 16 ounces dried lentils rinsed
- 1 ½ cups cooked quinoa
- 5 cups kale
- Place oil and garlic in large pot or dutch oven. Cook for 1-2 minutes until garlic softens.
- Add sausage and cook over medium-low heat until browned and no longer pink inside, about 5-8 minutes. Break the sausage up into bit size pieces.
- Add diced vegetables and seasonings. Stir well and slowly add the broth, lentils and quinoa. Turn heat to high and bring it to a boil. Once boiling, cover the soup and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 45-60 minutes until lentils become soft. Add kale in the last 5-10 minutes. Serve immediately. Top with grated parmesan cheese if desired.
Serving Size 1 bowl, makes 6-8 servings
Amount Per Serving:
Total Fat 16.5g
Saturated Fat 4.6g
Trans Fat 0.1g
Total Carbohydrates 48.8g
Dietary Fiber 16.8g
*Nutritional Information provided by www.caloriecount.com, not 100% guaranteed accurate
Thanks for stopping by!
Lauren, thank you for linking this in to Food on Friday. We are now starting to get quite a collection of rice/grain dishes together. Do stop by some of the other links to check them out!
Ps I have just signed up to follow your blog by Google Reader. A follow back to Carole's Chatter would be wonderful – or have you already followed? Cheers
Pps If you would like email reminders of future Food on Fridays, just pop by and comment and include your email - I won't publish it - and the reminder will be by bcc so it will remain private
Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen
I love love LOVE greens in soup! This looks wonderful Lauren!! Thanks so much for sharing it on Manic Monday 🙂