This is one of those easy dinner ideas that can made in the morning, refrigerated and dinner is ready. This is a healthier alternative to macaroni salad, potato salad or pasta salad that is packed with plant based protein and can be ready in under 30 minutes.
Why You Should Make This Quinoa Salad
I love this recipe so much. It's quick, easy, healthy, gluten-free, wheat-free…. what's not to love? It's just one of 300 recipes in my cookbook, The Everything Wheat-Free Diet Cookbook (and is available in all major bookstores 🙂 )
Quinoa is the latest "superfood" these days. I love it. It's so versatile and can be used in so many different ways. Quinoa is loaded with magnesium, iron and calcium. It is the only grain to have all nine essential amino acids which also makes it the only one to be a complete protein. It is low calorie, has a lot of fiber and is also gluten free which is perfect for those with gluten sensitivities.
Avocados are packed with fiber, potassium, Vitamin E, B vitamins and folic acid. They also have monounsaturated fats (healthy fats) which help to lower blood cholesterol.
Black beans are also packed with fiber and protein as well. Tomatoes have antioxidants and Vitamin A and C in them.
Recipe FAQ's and Expert Tips
While you definitely can freeze quinoa, I wouldn't recommend freezing this salad as the vegetables would get soggy. Let the cooked quinoa cool down completely, then transfer it to a resealable plastic bag. Press all the air out before sealing, then pat the quinoa into an even layer before freezing. Then when you are ready to make this salad you can defrost the quinoa and add everything else!
Absolutely! You can add rotisserie chicken, sliced steak or even shrimp.
This salad is meant to be served cold, right out of the refrigerator. I haven't made this served warm but if you do, please come back and let me know.
Caprese Quinoa Salad from Lauren Kelly Nutrition
Spiralized Beet Quinoa Salad from Lauren Kelly Nutrition
Favorite Quinoa Salad from Cookie and Kate
Sweet Potato Quinoa Brussels Sprouts Bowl from Lauren Kelly Nutrition
Quinoa Black Bean Avocado Salad with Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette
- 1.5 cups uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups water or vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 15 ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 14 ounces frozen corn, defrosted
- 2 avocados, peeled and cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- For the dressing:
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup avocado oil or olive oil
- ¾ cup fresh ginger root, minced
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- zest from one lime
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook quinoa with water or broth according to instructions. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Combine beans, corn, avocado and tomatoes. Toss with cooled quinoa.
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Pour dressing over salad.
- Let refrigerate for at least an hour or overnight.