This is one of those easy dinner ideas that can made in the morning, refrigerated and dinner is ready. This is a healthier alternative to macaroni salad, potato salad or pasta salad. This might be my favorite of all my quinoa recipes. And I have a lot of them!
I love this recipe so much. It’s quick, easy, healthy, gluten-free, wheat-free…. what’s not to love? It’s just one of 300 recipes in my cookbook, The Everything Wheat-Free Diet Cookbook (and is available in all major bookstores 🙂 )
Quinoa is the latest “superfood” these days. I love it. It’s so versatile and can be used in so many different ways. Quinoa is loaded with magnesium, iron and calcium. It is the only grain to have all nine essential amino acids which also makes it the only one to be a complete protein. It is low calorie, has a lot of fiber and is also gluten free which is perfect for those with gluten sensitivities.
Avocados are packed with fiber, potassium, Vitamin E, B vitamins and folic acid. They also have monounsaturated fats (healthy fats) which help to lower blood cholesterol.
Black beans are also packed with fiber and protein as well. Tomatoes have antioxidants and Vitamin A and C in them.
What happens when you put all of these nutrition powerhouses together??? One delicious, healthy salad!
For the salad:
- 1.5 cups uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups water
- Two 15-ounce cans BPA-FREE black beans, rinsed and drained
- One box (14 oz) of frozen organic corn, defrosted
- 2 avocados, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1-2 pints grape tomatoes, halved ( I used 1 1/2)
- Cook quinoa with the water according to package directions. Let cool to room temperature.
- Combine beans, corn, avocado, and tomatoes. Toss with cooled quinoa.
For the dressing:
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil
- 3/4 teaspoon minced fresh ginger root
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- zest of one lime
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh packed cilantro leaves (optional if you don’t like cilantro)
adapted from allrecipes.com
Serving Size 1/8 of salad
Amount Per Serving
Calories 298 Calories from Fat 147
Total Fat 16.4g
Saturated Fat 1.9g
Trans Fat 0.0g
Total Carbohydrates 36.5g
Dietary Fiber 7.6g
*Nutritional information provided by www.caloriecount.com, not 100% guaranteed accurate
Hope you enjoy! Thanks for stopping by, come back soon~