This Healthy Goulash recipe is the ultimate comfort food. This is easy to make, delicious and perfect for a busy weeknight or a cozy Sunday dinner at home.
This is the ultimate comfort food and one of those quick dinner ideas that you will want to make over and over again. It just goes to show you that you can have those favorites and still eat healthy.
This goulash recipe is actually one of those meals that my whole family will eat and actually enjoys. My kids are all really great eaters, but they each have one or two things that they can be picky about.
Why You Should Make This Healthy Goulash Recipe
This is one of those dishes that looks like your spent hours preparing it, but it really is super easy to make. And it's so versatile, you can use any type of macaroni you'd like, any cheese you'd like and whatever seasonings you have in the house.
This healthy yummy meal is lightened up from the typical classic version. Remember, portion size is still important even when dishes are made healthier.
This is also one of those recipes that freezes really well and can be reheated easily on those busy weeknights.
- Ground beef - I like to use 90% lean, 100% grass fed organic ground beef for the best quality and taste. You can easily substitute ground chicken or ground turkey if you'd like.
- Tomato sauce - Read your ingredient list on your tomato sauce. I buy this one that is organic and contains no added sugar or salt.
- Diced tomatoes - Same as the tomato sauce above, please read the ingredient labels. I use these organic diced tomatoes.
- Soy sauce or liquid aminos
- Worcestershire sauce - Make sure that the one you use is gluten free. My favorite is this one.
- Sharp cheddar cheese - I like to buy a block of cheddar and shred it myself. It's really easy to do and it's super fresh. Also, some pre-shredded cheese contains some additives and fillers.
- Elbow macaroni - I use this gluten free elbow macaroni but any one that you like would be perfect in this goulash.
Low Carb Eggplant Parmesan from Lauren Kelly Nutrition
Keto Chili Mac from All Day I Dream About Food
Gluten Free Zucchini Ravioli from Lauren Kelly Nutrition
Gluten Free Southern Baked Macaroni and Cheese from Mama Knows Gluten Free
- 2 pounds lean ground beef ground chicken or ground turkey
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 cups water
- 2 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or liquid aminos
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce gluten free
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 bay leaves
- ½ cup white sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 cups elbow macaroni gluten free
- In a large Dutch oven, cook and stir the ground beef over medium-high heat, breaking the meat up as it cooks, until the meat is no longer pink and has started to brown, about 10 minutes. Skim off excess fat, and stir in the onions and garlic.
- Cook and stir the meat mixture until the onions are translucent, about 10 more minutes.
- Stir in water, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, Italian seasoning, bay leaves, paprika, dry mustard and salt, and bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the macaroni, cover, and simmer over low heat until the pasta is tender, about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, discard bay leaves, and top with shredded cheese. Mix well and serve.