Seasoned, roasted sweet potatoes are tossed with a mixed greens and sharp feta cheese. Finished off perfectly with fried egg.
Hi there! My name is Kristen from A Mind "Full" Mom, where I share my passion for real families for real food on real budgets. I am so excited to be here sharing with you all a bit of inspiration to keep you healthy but full! Thank you Lauren for having me!
For me, nothing beats breakfast. Sweet, savory, decadent, light--the options are ENDLESS. And I have no problem eating breakfast foods all day long! But what about eating a salad for breakfast? Might seem a bit far fetched, but having a salad for breakfast works, and oh so tasty!
A few weeks ago, I was blessed with a "date night" with my middle school son. He wanted to go to a favorite brunch spot of mine for dinner. As we glanced over the menu, he ordered our usual--a chicken sausage veggie omelet served with a fluffy biscuit. Delish! I decided to mix things up. I was intrigued by a simple salad served with rosemary roasted potatoes and a poached egg. After first bite, I asked myself why I had not been eating salads like this for breakfast on a more regular basis?!!
Back at home in my kitchen, I was determined to make my own spin on a breakfast salad to fulfill this new craving I was having with great intensity. I opted for roasted chili dusted sweet potatoes, because I am a bit obssessed with pairing sweet potatoes with eggs--take my Spinach Quiche with a Sweet Potato Crust, Southwestern Sweet Potato Hash, or my Sweet Potato Egg Boat as examples. And let's face it, adding a bit of Tex-Mex from the chili powder to a dish NEVER hurt anything!
Once I had the sweet potatoes--it was time to build the salad. I started with a bed of mixed greens tossed with sliced mini red peppers, feta, and fresh lime juice. I topped the greens with the warm, roasted potatoes, letting the greens wilt ever so slightly. And then finished the whole thing off with the piece de resistance--a fried egg! The yolk becomes a rich, velvety dressing that makes the salad have such a luxious and rich taste.
- 1 large sweet potato or 2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed into 1 inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 16 ounces mixed spring greens washed and dried
- 8 mini peppers sliced and seeded
- ¼ cup feta cheese crumbled
- 1 fresh lime
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons oil divided
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss potatoes with chili powder, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon oil. Roast for 15-20 minutes, until soften and beginning to brown.
- Toss together the greens, peppers, feta, zest and juice of the lime, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper together.
- Heat remaining teaspoon of oil over medium-high heat in large skillet. Crack each egg into skillet and season with remaining salt, and fry for 2-3 minutes per side. Flip and let finish cooking for 1 minute.
- Divide the tossed greens between 4 bowls and top each salad with one egg.
One bite of this salad and a salad will NEVER sound like an odd choice for breakfast again!
Thank you so much for sharing Kristen! This doesn't sound odd to me, I can't wait to make it!