This low carb ham and cheese cauliflower soup is full of great flavor. It's so easy to make, just add everything to your crock pot, blend it up and dinner is ready!
For those that don't know my story already, I am in the hospital recovering from an emergency surgery.
Here's the story…. you might as well take a seat…
I went to bed last Wednesday night (Jan. 27th) just like any other night. I ate dinner around 6:30 p.m., drank a seltzer at 7:45 p.m. and went to sleep around 9:45 p.m.
Around 3:00 a.m. I was awakened with sever stomach pains.
My stomach was extremely distended (think 5-6 months pregnant) and I became very nervous. I knew in my heart what it was, because I had been through this before.
5 years ago I needed an emergency surgery for an intestinal blockage due to all of the scar tissue that was built up from many past surgeries. This pain was all too familiar.
Partly because the pain I was in and I was well aware of what was ahead of me. And secondly because I already missed my family.
So here I am. 9 days post-op.
For the next few weeks I will have a different friend create a recipe that I can share on my blog. Today my dear friend Carolyn, of the popular low-carb blog, All Day I Dream About Food will share this delicious recipe with us.
Carolyn is amazing and shares so many incredible, healthy low carb, sugar free, gluten free recipes. She really is a creative culinary genius.
Slow Cooker Cauliflower Ham and Cheese Soup from Carolyn Ketchum
Food blogging is like any other industry: it has its good eggs and its rotten apples. It has the people who are generous and kind and helpful to each other, and it has the stinkers, the people who will do just about anything to claw their way to the top.
Fortunately, the eggs seem to outweigh the apples and, on the whole, I'd say the foodblogging community is a supportive lot and I am happy to be a part of it.
I have made a number of wonderful friends in all corners of the world and I have had the pleasure of meeting several of them. Lauren happens to be one person that I clicked with almost instantly.
She's definitely one of the good eggs.
So, when your blogger friends suddenly become ill, you rush to their bedside. OR you take up the charge and write them a guest post to keep their blog humming along until they are on the mend.
Because rushing to Lauren's bedside from all the way across the country was rather impractical, I chose option B.
So, for those readers of Lauren Kelly Nutrition who might be unfamiliar with me, I am Carolyn of the aptly named All Day I Dream About Food. Lauren and I both believe that proper nutrition is the cornerstone of health, so we have that in common.
Our approach is a little different, however.
As someone with diabetes, I follow a low carb, gluten-free diet to help manage my blood sugar. Lauren has more of a generalist approach to nutrition, creating vegan recipes, gluten-free recipes, whole grain recipes, lower fat recipe, low carb recipes.
She's covering all her bases with great recipes that are also family friendly.
Why You Should Make this Cauliflower Ham and Cheese Soup
This slow cooker cauliflower soup definitely meets both of our definitions of nutritious. It's low in carbs (about 6 g per serving), comforting, and it's a great way to use up any leftover ham.
Or skip the ham and use vegetable broth for a satisfying Meatless Monday meal!
I love cooking with my slow cooker because it saves so much time which is great for those crazy weeknights.
- Cauliflower - What can I say about the most versatile vegetable out there? I love cauliflower, it enhances just about every dish there is!
- Chicken broth - I always use reduced sodium and organic chicken broth.
- Ground mustard - Adds a wonderful, light, tangy flavor to savory dishes. I use this ground mustard.
- Garlic - Garlic adds so much depth of flavor, I use it most of my savory dishes. It's optional in this recipe because it taste delicious with or without it!
- Cheddar cheese - I love the extra sharp cheddar cheese for a little punch of flavor.
- Ham - Cooked, chopped ham works perfectly in this cauliflower ham and cheese soup recipe.
- Red pepper flakes - Made from dried and crushed red Chile peppers, these red pepper flakes adds so much flavor.
Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili from Lauren Kelly Nutrition
Easy Chicken Enchilada Soup from All Day I Dream About Food
Slow Cooker Thai Curried Chicken Soup from Lauren Kelly Nutrition
Slow Cooker Cauliflower Ham and Cheese Soup
- 1 head cauliflower chopped into florets
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 cups Cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 ½ cups ham chopped
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 clove garlic minced, optional
- Add cauliflower, broth, mustard, and garlic to slow cooker. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Add cheddar cheese and puree with an immersion blender. Alternatively, you can transfer to a blender or food processor but you will need to work in batches.
- Add ham, pepper flakes, and additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with a little added cheese and some chopped green onion.