Simple flavors, baked into a delicious, fluffy donut and sprinkled with light cinnamon sugar.
Ah, the wonderful flavors of fall.
Anyone else feel like apple is the underrated, forgotten flavor?
Ok, maybe that’s a slight exaggeration and I am guilty of giving pumpkin WAY too much attention, but apple deserves it’s own celebration too!
I love apple all year long, but there is something about in-season apple cider that just makes me happy.
I am sure I shared this with you before, but just in case you missed it, here it goes….
I don’t like donuts. Or doughnuts.
Let me clarify, I don’t like FRIED donuts or doughnuts (which is it, anyway??). But give me a BAKED donut and I am in heaven. Because let’s be honest, it’s just like a light and fluffier muffin, shaped in the letter O, right?
And speaking of muffins, if you don’t have one of these handy dandy baked donut pans, you can easily make these into muffins.
- 1 ⁄4 cup butter at room temperature
- 1 ⁄2 cup unrefined sugar
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 11 ⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅔ cup oats
- 2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- ⅓ cup apple cider
- 1 cup Greek yogurt plain
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ⁄2 cup applesauce unsweetened
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, sugars, and egg until smooth, about 5 minutes with electric mixer on medium-high setting.
- Mix in the baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and oats to the creamed mixture. Mix thoroughly, making sure to scrape the sides.
- On low speed, add the whole-wheat pastry flour and apple cider. Mix well. Add the Greek yogurt and applesauce. Mix until combined, being careful not to overmix.
- Fill the prepared donut pan or muffin tin and bake for 12–15 minutes. You can also roll them into balls and place on a baking sheet for donut holes.
- Let cool in the pan for a few minutes, then place on wire rack for 5 minutes to cool before adding a glaze.
I have plenty of other easy, baked donut (doughnut) recipes that you will love:
Thanks for stopping by!