These Cinnamon Sugar Donuts are baked, not fried and are gluten-free! These cake like doughnuts are lightly spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg and then gently rolled in cinnamon sugar.
Ok, it's time for a confession.
I don't like doughnuts. Or donuts.
I never have. Until now, that is.
What I realize is that I don't like fried donuts, especially the smell. I know I am not in the majority here (and I rarely am!) so I decided to make doughnuts that are almost like a cake or muffin.
These are MY kind of donuts.
The funniest part of my weird confession... one of my kids just told me that he doesn't like donuts, or the smell of donuts either! Isn't that funny?
So now there are two doughnut-hating-weirdos walking around. But we both agree that we love THESE donuts.
If you just so happen to love donuts, you will love these Hot Chocolate Donuts, Apple Cider Donuts and these Dark Chocolate Donuts with Peanut Butter Glaze! They would all be even more delicious with some Apple Chai Latte, Chamomile Latte and definitely this Low Carb Bulletproof Hot Chocolate!
Why You Should Make These Cinnamon Sugar Donuts
I realize that most cinnamon sugar donuts are completely covered in all of the sugar deliciousness, but I decided to just roll one of the sides in it to lighten them up (a bit). Just so you know, they still taste ridiculously delicious.
If you want to roll both sides, go for it. They are completely customizable and easily adapted any way you like it.
Even those that eat gluten won't even believe that these are gluten free. And I also promise that they have a wonderful cake-like texture.
Yes, even without the gluten.
I have made these donuts with unrefined sugar and also granular Monk fruit which is a natural sugar substitute. They both held up nicely and tasted delicious.
I just wanted to share with you in case you wanted to cut back on sugar and try something new.
I have also made these with both coconut oil and butter and both equally tastes delicious and had wonderful textures. Personally I wouldn't recommend one over the other, it's really a personal preference or whatever you have in your pantry or refrigerator.
Blueberry Baked Donuts from Chocolate Covered Katie
Baked Apple Cider Donuts from Lauren Kelly Nutrition
Healthy Banana Donuts with Chocolate Glaze from Amy's Healthy Baking
Dark Chocolate Donuts with Peanut Butter Glaze from Lauren Kelly Nutrition
Gluten Free Cinnamon Sugar Donuts
- 4 cups Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour I used Bob's Red Mill
- 6 teaspoons gluten-free aluminum-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup unrefined sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups milk
- ¼ cup coconut oil or butter melted
- Cinnamon Sugar Topping:
- ¼ cup unrefined sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Grease a donut pan or muffin tin.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl, add vanilla, eggs, milk and beat until thoroughly combined.
- Add coconut oil or butter and beat again until mixed well.
- Slowly add flour mixture and mix on low until everything is combined.
- Fill the prepared donut pan or muffin tin and bake for 12–15 minutes. You can also roll them into balls and place on a baking sheet for donut holes.
- In a small bowl, mic together cinnamon and sugar.
- Let cool in the pan for a few minutes, then remove from pan and immediately place one side of the doughnut in the cinnamon-sugar mixture. ENJOY!