It's time to JUMP START! Are you ready?
I get asked all the time about cleanses and detoxes these days. It seems like most people are looking for the latest "quick fix". I get it. People want results. NOW! In order to live healthy and maintain a healthy weight, you need to do one thing...CHANGE YOUR LIFESTYLE!!!
Personally, I don't believe in restricting certain food groups or severely cutting back on calories to lose weight. If only it could be a s easy as "Eat when you are hungry" and "Stop when you are full", everyone out there would be happy with their bodies!!
So instead of drinking cleanses and taking "detox" pills, why not eat only clean, unprocessed foods and no added sugar for 3-5 days to give yourself a JUMP START?
Here's what you need to do:
- start each morning with hot water and ½ fresh squeezed lemon (must be on empty stomach to flush out toxins)
- 1 cup black coffee (or only unsweetened almond or coconut milk added) , green tea (aim for 3-5 cups)
- 1 gallon of water a day which you can add lemon, mint or ginger to, check out my Naturally Flavored Watersfor some ideas
- no dairy (except plain greek yogurt) If you choose to have milk in your smoothies or oatmeal, please use unsweetened almond milk or another unsweetened dairy-free milk
- no bread/pasta/rice... only quinoa or rolled/steel cut oats and 1-2 servings a day
- opt for 2-3 "juices*" a day if you want to juice, otherwise load up on fresh raw veggies. no more than 2-3 fruits each day * juices are only homemade with fresh veggies and fruit
- no sugar at all (besides the fruit)
- no soda/diet soda at all (seltzer is ok but may cause bloating)
- if you want to do vegetarian, load up on raw or steamed beans (mix with raw veggies and lime juice)
- if you aren't doing vegetarian, choose only lean white meats and fish and either steam, grill or bake (Herbs, garlic, lemon, lime (even fresh orange) are great to season)
- hard boiled eggs are great, only 1 whole egg per day, egg whites are unlimited
- All nuts are great. Make sure they are raw and unsalted. Also, no more than 14 nuts per serving, 2 servings a day.
- Chia seeds and ground flax can be added to everything! Measure 1-2 tablespoons per serving to add some fiber, omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants.
- 1 scoop of vegan or high quality protein powder per day in smoothies etc. I use a brown rice power by Sunwarrior
- Lastly, make sure you get between 7-8 hours of sleep each night. Now, I know those who have kids, sometimes kids don't get the memo. Try your best by going to bed early each night!
Besides flushing out your system with all the water, you are only eating unprocessed foods, which you will feel lighter and should give you more energy. This is a great way to focus on whole foods and add tons of vitamins and nutrients to your diet.
Here is a GROCERY LIST for you to get started:
- leans white meats and fish
- plain greek yogurts
- green tea
- vegetables, lots of them (if you are planning to juice: spinach, kale and other leafy greens, beets, carrots, celery, cucumbers, asparagus are wonderful to juice. You can always add one of your fruits to sweeten it up)
- chia seeds (whole)
- flax seed meal or ground flax seed
- herbs for chicken and fish
- mint or ginger to liven up your water or for juicing
After the 3-5 days try to eat as many unprocessed foods as you can throughout the day. Prepare for the week ahead by stocking your refrigerator with fresh fruits and veggies and lean proteins. Comment on this blog post or my facebook page if you want to join me starting tomorrow.
And if you are looking for some JUMP START friendly recipes, here are a few!
Lentil Spinach Medley
GOOD LUCK!! And if you are wondering what to do AFTER you finish the JUMP START, click here!
Happy CLEAN Eating!