This is one of my favorite go-to breakfasts. It is so easy and I love the fact that you can make it on a Sunday and have breakfast ready for the week. I made this with organic spinach, organic grape tomatoes and mushrooms, but feel free to use whatever veggies you have on hand. Protein packed breakfasts help keep you full longer, and you are also getting 2 servings of veggies! BONUS!
Spinach, Tomato and Mushroom Crustless Quiche
adapted from www.allrecipes.om
2 whole eggs, beaten
6 egg whites, beaten
1 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese
1 cup fresh spinach
1 cup fresh grape tomatoes (sliced in half)
1 container fresh mushrooms, chopped small (I used shiitake)
½ cup finely chopped onion
1 tablespoon olive oil
¼ teaspoon salt
⅛ teaspoon pepper
¼ teaspoon thyme
½ teaspoon sweet basil
¼ teaspoon oregano
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly spray a 9 inch pie pan or 12 count muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray ( I like to use cupcake liners).
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft. Stir in spinach, mushrooms and tomatoes and continue cooking until veggies have wilted.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, cheese, thyme, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Add spinach mixture and stir to blend. Scoop into prepared pie pan or muffin tins.
- Bake in preheated oven until eggs have set, about 30 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.* I do not like wet eggs and so I prefer to cook and an extra 5 minutes or so until light brown around edges and top.
Total Fat: 3.6g
Saturated Fat: 1.4g
Total Carbohydrates: 1.5g
* Nutritional information provided by www.caloriecount.com, not guaranteed 100% accurate.