This needs to come with a disclaimer, it is insanely delicious and makes everyone happy. Kids and picky adults won’t even know it’s healthy (and why should they?) I love cornbread. I mean I really, really love cornbread. This is one of those gluten-free recipes that can easily be made with any cornbread recipe, and you can easily use a boxed mix to save time. You need to make this. Like today.
Gluten Free Cornbread Taco Pie
- 1 cup organic cornmeal yellow or white
- 1 cup organic corn or rice flour
- 1 ⁄4 cup unrefined sugar
- 3 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder or baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt + 1/4 milk stirred together
- 2 organic eggs beaten
- 2 tablespoons unsalted organic butter melted
- Meat Topping:
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 pound organic grass fed ground beef ground turkey or ground chicken
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder 1/8 tsp if you don’t like it too spicy
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 cup organic salsa
- 1 teaspoon chopped chili peppers add more or like to your taste
- 1/4 cup reduced fat mexican blend cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro for topping optional
- sliced avocado for topping optional
- organic blue or yellow corn chips crumbled for topping (optional)
- plain Greek yogurt for topping optional
Preheat oven to 400°F. In a large bowl, mix together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder or baking soda, salt, cumin, and red pepper flakes.
Mix in the yogurt/milk mixture, eggs, and melted butter.
Prepare an 9 x 13 " casserole dish with nonstick spray or grease with organic butter. Place batter in the Bake for 20–25 minutes.
While cornbread is baking, add oil and onion to a large skillet.
Cook for 3-4 minutes until onions soften and become fragrant.
Add meat and cook until no longer pink and fully cooked. Add cumin, chili powder, red pepper flakes and coriander. Mix well and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
When cornbread is done (will be light brown on the edges and center is dry when you place a toothpick in the middle), add the meat mixture on top of cornbread.
Top with salsa and chili peppers.
Place back in oven and cook for 15 minutes.
Take out of the oven sprinkle with cheese and cook for another 5-7 minutes until cheese is melted.
Top with chopped cilantro, crumbled organic corn chips, avocado and Greek yogurt if desired. Allow to cool for a few minutes before slicing.
Here is a picture without the pretty blue corn tortilla chips…
This recipe is totally kid friendly and easy to prepare too. My kids love it with the crushed tortilla chips on top. They always want the blue corn tortilla chips which look really cool too.
Please let me know how much you love this!