Simple to make, pure, delicious comfort food. This Gluten Free Cornbread Taco Pie is so kid friendly and adults love it too!
This needs to come with a disclaimer, it is insanely delicious and makes everyone happy. Kids and picky adults won't even know it's healthy (and why should they?) I love cornbread.
I mean I really, really love cornbread.
That's why this recipe is my perfect idea of taco pie. It's mainly cornbread with a thinner layer of meat filling.
That's approximately a 70% cornbread to 30% meat ratio. That sounds just about right.
This is one of those gluten-free recipes that can easily be made with any cornbread recipe, and you can easily use a boxed mix to save time. Whatever you can do to simplify your life.
I have had quite a few readers tell me that they made this with Trader Joe's Gluten Free Cornbread Mix and had great success with it. Although I haven't tried that, I do trust that several people have loved it.
You need to make this. I promise that it will be a huge crowd pleaser. And most likely you will need to double the recipe because you will not have any leftovers.
Even leftovers (if there are any) don't get soggy. Think of the texture of a chicken pot pie but flipped upside down (if that makes any sense). This is very similar.
But dare I say, it's even better. And I am a full blown chicken pot pie lover.
- 1 cup organic cornmeal yellow or white
- 1 cup organic corn or rice flour
- 1 ⁄4 cup unrefined sugar
- 3 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder or baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt + ¼ milk stirred together
- 2 organic eggs beaten
- 2 tablespoons unsalted organic butter melted
- Meat Topping:
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 pound organic grass fed ground beef ground turkey or ground chicken
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder ⅛ tsp if you don’t like it too spicy
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ⅛ teaspoon coriander
- ½ cup organic salsa
- 1 teaspoon chopped chili peppers add more or like to your taste
- ¼ cup reduced fat mexican blend cheese
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro for topping optional
- sliced avocado for topping optional
- organic blue or yellow corn chips crumbled for topping (optional)
- plain Greek yogurt for topping optional
- Preheat oven to 400°F. In a large bowl, mix together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder or baking soda, salt, cumin, and red pepper flakes.
- Mix in the yogurt/milk mixture, eggs, and melted butter.
- Prepare an 9 x 13 " casserole dish with nonstick spray or grease with organic butter. Place batter in the Bake for 20–25 minutes.
- While cornbread is baking, add oil and onion to a large skillet.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes until onions soften and become fragrant.
- Add meat and cook until no longer pink and fully cooked. Add cumin, chili powder, red pepper flakes and coriander. Mix well and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- When cornbread is done (will be light brown on the edges and center is dry when you place a toothpick in the middle), add the meat mixture on top of cornbread.
- Top with salsa and chili peppers.
- Place back in oven and cook for 15 minutes.
- Take out of the oven sprinkle with cheese and cook for another 5-7 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Top with chopped cilantro, crumbled organic corn chips, avocado and Greek yogurt if desired. Allow to cool for a few minutes before slicing.
Here is a picture without the pretty blue corn tortilla chips. And even better a dollop of sour cream and some sliced avocado.
Don't you top all of your Mexican recipes with sour cream and avocado? I know I do.
This recipe is totally kid friendly and easy to prepare too. My kids love it with the crushed tortilla chips on top for a little added crunch.
They always want the blue corn tortilla chips which look really cool too and a bit of color. Use whatever works for you and more importantly use whatever you have in your house.
Please come back and let me know if you made this recipe or any of my other recipes. You guys know that I love to hear from you!
Thank you for stopping by and please come back again soon!