These Butternut Squash Black Bean Quinoa Quesadillas are incredibly delicious, simple to make and nutritious. The combination of flavors in this quesadilla recipe make these feel make these the perfect plant-based lunch or dinner.
I am always on the hunt for easy meals for lunch and especially those busy weeknights. Quesadillas are one of those dishes that everyone likes and I enjoy exploring different options.
I wanted to keep these vegan, but also wanted to add protein. I thought quinoa would be a perfect addition to these babies. And I was right.
Added bonus: These taste just as delicious heated up the next day. I love having leftovers for lunch.
My family loves quesadillas and they are so ridiculously easy to make. If you are looking for some more delicious quesadilla recipes, you will love this Proscuitto Fig Quesadilla, Fresh Vegetable Quesadilla and definitely this Spinach Avocado Goat Cheese Quesadilla!
Why You Should Make This Quesadilla Recipe
This quesadilla recipe is so easy to make, it can be ready in 15 minutes start to finish. They are so adaptable and can made any way you like them.
Personally I love the crazy nutritious ingredients in this quesadilla recipe. It's loaded with plant-based protein, fiber, vitamins and antioxidants. Feel free to add some shredded chicken or turkey if you want to add even more protein.
Leftover quesadillas actually taste great too. I just recommend heating them back up in a pan for a few minutes instead of microwaving because the tortillas will be soft.
I've made these quesadillas a few times. I added cheddar cheese one time (which obviously wouldn't make them vegan anymore) and made them another time with shredded chicken for my husband (you gotta love rotisserie chicken!)
They all came out great! The first time I made it, I flipped the quesadilla in the skillet and all of the quinoa, beans and squash fell out all over the place.
What a mess! I realized after that I can't flip them like pancakes and need to be more delicate. Lesson learned!
Beef, Chicken or Vegetable Quesadillas from RecipeTin Eats
Vegetarian Quesadilla from iFoodReal
Healthier Chicken Quesadillas from The Healthy Foodie
Healthy Chicken Quesadillas from Slender Kitchen
- 1 cup quinoa cooked
- 4 cups spinach
- 2 green onions chopped
- 2 cloves garlic diced
- 2 cups roasted butternut squash
- 1 cup black beans rinsed
- 4 to rtillas I used 6 inch whole grain vegan tortillas
- cilantro for topping
- Mix the spinach, garlic and onions in a large skillet over medium heat until wilted, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add quinoa, squash and beans. Mix well.
- Place tortillas on skillet or griddle prepared with nonstick cooking spray over medium heat. Place spinach/bean mixture on half of the tortilla.
- Cook over medium heat for 1-2 minutes on each side until golden brown, making sure to flip over to cook evenly. *Delicately flip over so all of the ingredients don't fall out and all over the place.
- Remove from heat and slice in half. Serve immediately.