Deliciously crispy crust with a combination of flavors that you will love. This Grilled Spinach Kale and Goat Cheese Pizza needs to be next on your list!
I just love grilled pizza. It gives it a slightly smoky taste and a super crispy crust.
It is incredibly easy to do (even easier when you get your pizza dough from Trader Joe’s!) and it’s our favorite thing to do on Friday nights.
The kids love to pick different toppings and cheeses (yes we’ve eaten Mexican pizzas) and it’s a quick way to add veggies. You can easily go ahead and make your own crust if you would like and use this ridiculously Easy Two Ingredient Pizza Dough Recipe from Simply Scratch using Greek yogurt.
Or you can cheat (like me) and buy the already made pizza dough from Trader Joe’s or Whole Foods. If you want to really get fancy while still making life simple, you can easily go into your favorite pizza restaurant and just buy their dough.
It is still inexpensive but tastes delicious.
The idea for this pizza is to get creative and think outside the box. Pizza can be so much more than sauce and mozzarella cheese, right?
Although trust me, I am not knocking a classic pizza. No way. I will always be loyal to my good old faithful.
But some times it is good just to mix it up a bit. I love to experiment with my kids and try all different kinds of vegetables, cheeses and other toppings.
But the biggest most impressive part of this pizza is definitely the crispy, grilled crust. There is no pizza stone or baking sheet that will get your pizza THIS crispy.
1 pizza dough (I used whole wheat dough from Trader Joe’s) but I also love this recipe from King Arthur Flour
2 cups of spinach
2 cups of kale
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/4- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese (I used 1/2 cup but use what you like)
2 cloves crushed garlic
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup ground flax seed
olive oil to coat the grill
- Place kale, spinach and mushrooms in a saute pan with grapeseed oil, garlic and onion. Saute for 3-4 minutes until mushrooms soften and the greens wilt.
- Heat up the grill. Dip a tightly wound paper towel in olive oil. Coat the grill with olive oil (when you hold your hand 2 inches from the grill and it feels hot, this is when you apply the oil).
- Prepare dough. I used Trader Joe’s already made whole wheat dough. Let sit on the counter for at least a half hour. Knead the dough for a minute.
- Place the dough on a well greased (and floured) pizza pan or baking sheet. Form into whatever shape you want (I made them oval b/c it’s easier than to make a perfect circle 🙂 ) Sprinkle ground flax seed o top of dough.
- Use a large spatula and gently lift and slide the dough onto the grill. (This is where the importance of having a well greased and floured pan come in place).
- Cook on medium heat for ~5 minutes or until dough has grill marks on the bottom.
- Take the pizza dough off and place back on to the pizza pan or baking sheet UNCOOKED SIDE DOWN. *This is very important. You will be adding the toppings to the GRILLED SIDE.
- Add whatever toppings you’d like. I added the kale, spinach and mushrooms first and then I topped with goat cheese and fresh basil.
- Place back onto grill for ~5 minutes until cheese is melted. ENJOY!
You can also place the dough on a well floured baking sheet or pizza stone and bake in the oven at 450 degrees for 10 minutes or until crispy if you don’t have access to a grill or if it is just too plain old cold outside.
What is our favorite pizza? I love any vegetable one. What can I say, I am a sucker for vegetables 🙂
Let me know your favorite way to make pizza at home, even if it is not on the grill!
If you made this Grilled Kale Spinach Goat Cheese Pizza or any of my other recipes, please come back and let me know. You guys know that I love to hear from you!
Thank you for stopping by and please come back soon!