Simple to make, comforting and delicious, this Italian Wedding Soup will be your favorite meal on a busy weeknight! This is just what you need to warm up on a cold, winter night.
I know I have said this before (many times) but I really adore soup. Especially this time of year.
But truth be told I love soup all year long. Yes, even when it's 80 degrees outside.
Yes, I realize that might be weird.
And this is one of my favorite soup recipes. Ever.
So when I dear friend of mine told me that she made the amazing Ina Garten's Italian Wedding Soup (click here for recipe), I knew I had to make it in a little bit of a healthier version.
Now don't get me wrong, I love me some Ina, I would rather save some calories for some type of dessert. Preferably something with pumpkin in it 🙂
Feel free to use what ever small pasta you have on hand. I used orzo which is easy and light. You can also make your meatballs with chicken, turkey, pork or beef if you'd prefer.
Just please use organic. Who needs all those antibiotics and toxins in our meats? Not me.
This might be a little more time consuming because you have to prepare and cook the meatballs ahead of time, but I promise you it is completely worth it.
This is pure comfort food at it's best. This is soooooo good. I love all of the seasonings.
- 1 pound organic ground turkey or chicken
- 1 cup whole wheat or gluten free breadcrumbs
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- ½ cup ground flax seed
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning usually just a blend of basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme and marjoram so you can add your own if you don’t have Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- ½ onion minced
- 2 large carrots chopped finely
- 2 celery stalks chopped finely
- 10 cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 1 cup orzo mini shells or small pasta (can also use quinoa or brown rice if gluten-free)
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 6 ounces fresh organic baby spinach
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silpat.
- In a medium bowl, mix the ground turkey, breadcrumbs, garlic, cheese, egg, ground flax, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper with your hands until thoroughly combined. Roll into small meatballs (remember they are going in the soup so they should be small) and place on the baking sheet. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until fully cooked through and browned.
- Add broth and wine and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add uncooked pasta and Italian seasoning to broth and cook another 6-8 minutes, until the pasta is tender. Add meatballs and fresh spinach. Stir for a minute or two until spinach is wilted. Top with additional freshly grated Parmesan cheese if desired.
I love the added spinach is here. We all know that spinach wilts to almost noting when it's cooks, so feel free to add more if you'd like.
That is completely up to you and your taste. Personally, I love lots of spinach.
Hope you enjoy this! We absolutely love it!
If you make this soup or any of my other recipes, please come back and let me know. You guys know that I love to hear from you!
Thank you for stopping by and please come back soon!