Quick, easy and bursting with flavor, Thai Chicken Tacos are ready in less than 30 minutes with the help of either leftover chicken breast or a rotisserie chicken. Topped with a crisp asian slaw and spicy peanut sauce, Taco Tuesday will never be the same again.
Hi everyone! I'm Kellie from The Suburban Soapbox and I'm filling in today for Lauren as she recuperates....and is hopefully relaxing on her sofa binge-watching Netflix with a bucket of bonbons . Lauren and I haven't met in person even though we don't live too far away from each other but when I heard about her illness I was happy to help out. I'm an "eat everything in moderation" fan so I do try to keep a few healthy recipes at the ready for quick and easy dinners. And adding little shortcuts like cooking extra chicken on a Sunday night to use later in the week always saves the day.
These Thai Chicken Tacos make a regular appearance at my house, even if I don't have extra chicken lying around. You could easily grab a supermarket rotisserie chicken and make this meal just as quickly. The easy Asian Slaw is fresh and crisp....it literally comes together in just a couple minutes. And the Spicy Peanut Sauce, also ready in a flash, is great on absolutely everything. I put it on pizza, salads, flatbread...you name it. Save the leftovers because you're going to want it on all the things.
I lightly toast corn tortillas over the flame on my gas range but you can toast them under the broiler or in a non-stick skillet. The toasting process softens up the tortilla so it doesn't crack and fall apart. And if you really plan ahead, you could easily cook the chicken during your weekly meal prep with the sauce and save it for later. Reheat in the microwave and you have now shaved off another 10 minutes. Dinner in 20 minutes, you can't beat that.
- For the chicken:
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken breasts
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoonsfish sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons finely minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- For the slaw:
- 2 cups thinly sliced napa cabbage
- 1 thinly sliced celery stalk
- ½ cup matchstick cut carrots
- ¼ cup lightly packed chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- For the peanut sauce:
- ½ cup creamy natural peanut butter
- ¼ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 ½ tablespoons honey
- juice and zest of one lime
- 1 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste or curry powder
- 1 shallot chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili paste
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 8 corn tortillas
- In a nonstick skillet over medium heat, add the chicken and cook for 1-2 minutes to warm through. While the chicken cooks, whisk the soy sauce, fish sauce, vinegar, honey, ginger, hoisin, garlic and pepper to combine.
- Add the sauce mixture to the chicken and continue cooking until the sauce reduces by ½. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the cabbage, celery, carrots and cilantro.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, honey and sesame oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss the slaw with the dressing to combine.
- In the bowl of a food processor or blender, add the peanut butter, broth, soy sauce, honey, lime juice and zest, garlic, curry, shallot, chili paste and vinegar.
- Blend to combine until smooth. Set aside.
- Toast the tortillas over an open flame or in a skillet until lightly charred, working one at a time. Place the toasted tortillas on a plate and cover until all tortillas are done.
- Spoon ¼ cup of chicken into the center of the tortilla.
- Top with slaw and peanut sauce.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and lime, if desired.
Thank you so much of these delicious tacos Kellie! Just in time for Taco Tuesday 🙂