This Peanut Butter Cake is sinfully delicious, vegan and gluten free! This Peanut Butter Cake is simple to make and will be your new favorite dessert.
As many of you know, I love my peanut butter cookies, and pretty much anything with peanut butter in it. I needed to make a peanut butter cake and I needed to make it healthier.
The topping is thinner than a frosting and I just drizzled it on top.
No one will ever suspect how healthy this cake is. It's gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan and made with all wholesome, healthy ingredients. It'll be our secret.
Now you can see just how ridiculously easy this cake is to make. Even people that claim they are terrible at baking have made this cake and loved it! It really does have rave reviews.
If you are looking for some more delicious peanut butter recipes, you will love these Low Carb Peanut Butter Cups, Chewy Gluten Free Peanut Butter Cookies, Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Baked Oatmeal and definitely these No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars!
Why You Should Make This Peanut Butter Cake
The texture is amazing for a cake that is so allergy friendly. Remember, cakes made with alternative flours are a little more dense than those made with flour from wheat. But this one really has a fabulous texture.
Feel free to use whatever nut butter you'd like. I have also made this with almond butter and it was fantastic. I actually used crunchy almond butter which added a nice texture.
As for baking with gluten free flours, this cake really is simple to prepare.
This might sound weird to some of you...but I also freeze individual slices of this cake in the freezer.
This way it helps with portion control (so you don't eat most of the cake in one sitting) and it's so convenient because you get to take out a slice for whenever you have a craving. I also like to pop it in the toaster oven once it's defrosted so get it a little crispy.
Although I haven't tried this with coconut milk, I would imagine it would still come out the same. This cake is super versatile and adaptable.
Recipe FAQ's and Expert Tips
Make it allergy friendly and use sunflower seed butter! Sunflower seeds are a wonderful, allergy friendly alternative to nuts and peanuts. You can also use coconut milk instead of almond milk as well.
Yes, absolutely. You'll need to reduce the cupcake baking time by one-third to one-half. Most cupcake recipes bake about 15 to 20 minutes. I would test the center of a cupcake after 15 minutes with a toothpick to see if its still wet.
You can also add some chocolate chips to the batter. Why not? Peanut butter and chocolate really are a match made in heaven. I would add ¼ cup chocolate chips.
Lightened Up Chocolate and Peanut Butter Bars from Lauren Kelly Nutrition
Healthy No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies from Joy Food Sunshine
Chocolate Peanut Butter Biscotti from Lauren Kelly Nutrition
Healthy Peanut Butter Balls from Detoxinista
Peanut Butter Cake with Peanut Butter Drizzle
- ¾ cup almond flour I used the superfine almond flour
- ¾ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup ground flax
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ¾ cup unrefined sugar
- ⅔ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup organic creamy natural peanut butter
- 1 ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk I used unsweetened vanilla
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 5 tablespoons almond milk
- dairy-free chocolate chips for topping optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a cake pan and set aside. (I used a bunt pan)
- In a large bowl, mix together the almond meal, coconut flour, flax, cinnamon and baking soda.
- In another small bowl, mix together coconut oil, sugar, applesauce, peanut butter and almond milk until combined.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients until thoroughly mixed and smooth.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes or until thoroughly cooked and when a toothpick placed in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing and placing on a plate. Allow cake to completely before adding the drizzle.
- Prepare peanut butter drizzle while cake is cooling by mixing all ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Drizzle cake with peanut butter glaze, top with chocolate chips if desired and serve immediately.