These Butternut Squash Fries with Avocado Dipping Sauce are light, crispy and even your kids will devour them. Move over potatoes, these butternut squash fries are packed with vitamins and fiber!
Since I am not a potato lover and I am trying to follow a low carb diet, I decided to make these butternut squash fries to lighten them up a bit. I even bought this awesome crinkle cutter to make them a little more fun.
This fun little gadget was simple to use and yes, they did look pretty cool too. These butternut squash fries came out crispy and delicious.
I recently make these for my kids and guess what? They loved them!
The GREEN dipping sauce...not so much.
What is it with kids and green stuff anyway? They even started to pick off the TINY pieces of parsley I added to the fries too.
Don't let my kids fool you, this avocado dipping sauce is on point! It's creamy, nutritious and delicious.
No problem kiddies, more for me!
If you like these fries you will love this Butternut Squash Caramelized Onion Burrata Pizza, Maple Cinnamon Sweet Potato Fries, Winter Kale Salad with Butternut Squash and Farro and these Butternut Squash, Black Bean and Quinoa Quesadillas.
All of these would be even more delicious with some Spiked Apple Cider!
Why You Should Make These Butternut Squash Fries with Avocado Dipping Sauce
These delicious fries are so simple to make, from start to finish they will be done in under 30 minutes.
If you haven't tried butternut squash yet, it has a similar taste to pumpkin and a wonderful, light, almost nutty taste.It's loaded with potassium, vitamins and fiber.
Yes, butternut squash contains carbohydrates, but still low enough to fit into a low carb diet if you'd like. I don't crazy with carbohydrates coming from fruits and vegetables.
The tasty avocado dipping sauce is so simple to make and loaded with healthy fats. It's so yummy you will want to eat it with everything!
- Butternut squash - Butternut squash is an loaded with powerful antioxidants, including vitamin C, vitamin E, and beta-carotene. It's easy to find in most grocery stores and is filled with heart-healthy fiber.
- Avocado - One of my favorite fruits, avocados are also loaded with heart healthy fats, potassium and fiber. Avocados have a natural creaminess that makes the perfect texture for dressings and dips.
- Plain Greek yogurt - I just love my Greek yogurt. It's filled with protein and also lends a wonderful creamy texture to this dip.
- Garlic - I love garlic so much. If you want you can increase or decrease the amount of garlic, depending on your tastes.
Recipe FAQ's and Expert Tips
The most important thing you have to do is to make sure the fries are spread out evenly across the baking sheet and there are no overlapping pieces. If its too crowded, please use two baking sheets to ensure your fries get crispy.
Although I haven't tried thee substitutions myself, you can use a vegan yogurt such as a coconut milk yogurt or almond milk yogurt.
I have definitely made these ahead of time and they still came out delicious and crispy. I simply baked them for 10-15 minutes so they are still a little hard, wrapped them up and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Then I reheated them for 10-15 minutes until crispy!
Roasted Butternut Squash from Well Plated
Butternut Squash Soup from Love and Lemons
Mashed Butternut Squash from Spend with Pennies
Vegetarian Butternut Squash Chipotle Chili from Cookie and Kate
Please feel free to follow me on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram! Thanks for stopping by!
Easy Butternut Squash Fries with Avocado Dipping Sauce
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- chopped parsley for topping optional
- Dipping Sauce:
- 1 avocado peeled and pit removed
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt you can use vegan mayonnaise or vegan yogurt as alternative
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Peel squash with a vegetable peeler.
- Cut squash in half and remove the seeds.
- Using a crinkle cutter (to make it fancy) or a regular knife, slice into fries.
- Try to make them all the same size so they bake evenly.
- In a medium bowl, mix together olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Add squash and mix to make sure its well covered.
- Spread evenly onto a baking sheet in single layer, not touching each other. If it's crowded, use two baking pans otherwise they will not be crispy.
- Bake for 20 minutes until edges are golden brown, making sure to shake the pan half way through.
- While fries are baking, prepare dipping sauce by placing all of the ingredients in a food processor until smooth.
- Remove fries from oven and allow to cool before serving.
- Serve with dipping sauce. ENJOY!
I never thought to make fries with butternut squash so I decided to give this a try. They are delicious and the dipping sauce is so good!
The fries were so delicious... and that SAUCE! I'm going to make it to serve with so many other things too. Thank you!
Avocado dip is my favorite! Super amazed by this delicious butternut squash fries recipe! turned out really flavorful and tasty! Thank you for sharing! Highly recommended!
Ok, I have found a new addiction!! Where have these been all my life?! Super easy to make, delicious, & the dipping sauce is amazing!!
i try myself few time and you have perfect right it s a food of Good butternut squash
I love it!! The dipping sauce is so amazing, too! This recipe is such a winner!
These were a big hit in our house! I'll definitely be making these any time our menu calls for fries from now on.