A protein packed bowl of healthy comfort food, all ready in 30 minutes!
These days I seem to get bored of foods easily. I used to have some chicken, some vegetables, pasta rice or quinoa and be happy. Lately I have been taking a huge bowl and just throwing everything in. And this time it came out delicious.
I am loving the fall flavors out there. Most people think of pumpkin and apples for fall, but there are so many more as well! Brussels sprouts, cranberries and sweet potatoes are also fall fruits and vegetables and are in season now. So basically. I threw them in a large bowl with quinoa and sliced almonds and became a very happy girl.
I made this for my husband and he added chopped sausage to his for all the meat lovers out there. I was more than satisfied with this bowl just the way it is.
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1½ cups vegetable broth (can also use chicken broth)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger root, diced
- 2 cups sweet potatoes, diced
- 1 cup sliced Brussels sprouts
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- Place quinoa and broth into a pot. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cover and reduce heat to low, simmer for 15-20 minutes until all liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile while quinoa is cooking, place olive oil, garlic, onion and ginger into large skillet. Cook over medium heat 3-4 minutes until onions are translucent. Add sweet potatoes and brussels sprouts and let cook for 10 minutes or until they soften.
- Add cooked quinoa to skillet and thoroughly combine.
- Remove from heat.
- Add cranberries and almonds and mix again.
All of this fall-flavored-healthy-deciciousness is ready in 30 minutes too! What more can you ask for?
If you are not a vegan, I suggest sprinkling some Parmesan cheese on top. Just a little goes a long way or go ahead and pour it on, but those calories add up!
I plan on sharing a lot of easy, healthy recipes these days now. I am feeling overwhelmed with kids’ activities and everything back to school, so let’s simplify our meals, shall we?