Lightly sweetened, flaky and delicious...you will fall in love with these simple to make, Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Scones.
It's so funny to me that I only started liking scones about 5 years ago. My husband and I were away for our 10th anniversary at a fancy brunch and they had these Lemon Berry Scones. They smelled out of this world and you all know how much I adore lemon and berries so I gave it a whirl. Even though I have always disliked scones, especially how dry they were, I loved these ones. And I may or may not have eaten my husband's scone too.
Sidenote: A good scone won't be too dry. Now I know.
So now, as we approach our 15 year anniversary (gasp!) I wanted to make a new kind of scone for my hubby. Since he is obsessed with chocolate, these were a no brainer.
The funniest part? My kids and their friends ended up eating all of these and my poor husband didn't even try one of them.
Such is life with 3 boys.
For those that are intimidated by making scones because they might sound fancy, DON'T BE!
These are truly ridiculously easy to make. I promise. And they go perfectly with a big cup of green tea. Or coffee. Your choice.
- 11 ⁄2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1 ⁄4 cup coconut flour
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 ⁄4 cup unrefined sugar
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- 1 ⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 ⁄2 cup coconut oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ⁄3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flours, xanthan gum, sugar, baking powder and salt. Work in the coconut oil until the mixture is crumbly.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, Greek yogurt, and vanilla until frothy. Add to the dry ingredients, stirring until well blended. The dough will be sticky.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Drop the dough onto the parchment paper or silicone mat and form into a circle in the center of baking sheet. Cut circle into 8 triangles or use a cookie cutter to make 8 hearts.
- Sprinkle the scones with extra sugar if desired. Bake for 15–20 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool for at least 5 minutes before serving.
Go ahead and make these! Even if it's not your anniversary, they look fancy but they are simple to make. Trust me!
Here are some more scones you will love...