Lightly sweetened, flaky and delicious...you will fall in love with these simple to make, Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Scones.
My husband and I were away for our 10th anniversary 5 years ago at a fancy brunch and they had these Lemon Berry Scones. They smelled out of this world and you all know how much I adore lemon and berries so I gave it a whirl.
Even though I have always disliked scones, especially how dry they were, I loved these ones. And I may or may not have eaten my husband's scone too.
So now, as we approach our 15 year anniversary (gasp!) I wanted to make a new kind of scone for my hubby. Since he is obsessed with chocolate, these were a no brainer.
The funniest part? My kids and their friends ended up eating all of these and my poor husband didn't even try one of them.
If you are looking for more healthy scone recipes, you will love these Gluten Free Pumpkin Spice Scones with Maple Glaze, Peaches and Cream Whole Wheat Scones, Gluten Free Strawberry Pomegranate Scones and these Gluten Free Eggnog Scones! All of these would be even more yummy with some Low Carb Bulletproof Hot Chocolate, Apple Chai Latte and definitely some Spiked Apple Cider!
Why You Should Make These Chocolate Chip Scones
For those that are intimidated by making scones because they might sound fancy, DON'T BE! These are truly ridiculously easy to make.
These chocolate chip scones go perfectly with a big cup of green tea or coffee. Your choice.
These scones look fancy so I love to give them as gifts when someone is sick, or their birthday or for no reason at all.
You can easily substitute butter for coconut oil if that is all you have. I love the buttery taste and texture personally so use what is already in your house.
These scones can be ready in a half hour so they are easy enough to make during the week. I usually make these on my meal prep days for us to have for breakfast or snack for a few days.
These scones are completely customizable. I have made them so many times with various fruits like berries, pineapple and even mango chunks.
Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Scones
- 1½ cups gluten-free all purpose flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- ¼ cup unrefined sugar
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup coconut oil or butter
- 2 large eggs
- ⅓ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flours, xanthan gum, sugar, baking powder and salt. Work in the coconut oil until the mixture is crumbly.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, Greek yogurt, and vanilla until frothy. Add to the dry ingredients, stirring until well blended. The dough will be sticky.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Drop the dough onto the parchment paper or silicone mat and form into a circle in the center of baking sheet. Cut circle into 8 triangles or use a cookie cutter to make 8 hearts.
- Sprinkle the scones with extra sugar if desired. Bake for 15–20 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool for at least 5 minutes before serving.