I have always said that I didn’t like scones. I didn’t like how dry and crumbly they were. They just didn’t appeal to me. At all. And then I saw a Lemon Cranberry Scone on the brunch menu at a restaurant in California. I love lemon and I love cranberry so I gave it a try. IT WAS AMAZING!!!!
So now that I am back home, I decided to try and recreate these yummy scones. I wanted to make it healthy by cutting the butter and using whole wheat flours, I just didn’t now how it would come out since I have never attempted to make scones before. Then I saw this recipe from Chocolate & Carrots and knew I had to try to make them. If you are intimidated AT ALL by making scones, try this recipe. I promise it’s easy!!! The whole wheat flours add fiber, the milk and greek yogurt add protein. How could I go wrong?
Delightful Whole Wheat Lemon Berry Scones
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons turbinado sugar, plus more for sprinkling on top ( I used Trader Joe’s Turbinado)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold unsalted, organic butter
- zest of one lemon
- 1/4 tsp natural lemon extract or fresh juice from 1 lemon
- 3/4 cup of dried (or fresh berries of choice) I used dried, dried cherries, dried cranberries & dried blueberries
- 1/2 cup plain non fat Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons almond milk or milk of choice
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Combine flours, baking powder, sugar and salt in a bowl and whisk together.
- Slice butter and drop into dry ingredients. Mix sliced butter into the flour.
- Add dried berries,lemon extract and lemon zest and gently stir.
- Gently mix in milk and yogurt. Eventually you’ll need to use your hands to knead the last of the flour into the dough. Since we used less butter in this recipe, you really have to work with your hands to make sure all the ingredients are mixed.
- Form dough into a circle about that’s about an inch deep all around. Cut the circle into 8 slices.
- Separate slices and place on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper or foil.
- Sprinkle the tops of the scones with a bit of raw sugar.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until light brown.
And the newer (prettier) picture…
Serving Size 1 scone
Amount Per Serving:
Calories 188 Calories from Fat 44 *** 5 Weight watchers Plus Points Each
Total Fat 4.9g
Saturated Fat 2.9g
Total Carbohydrates 28.6g
Dietary Fiber 3.2g
Protein 4.9 g
*Nutrition Information supplied by www.caloriecount.com, not 100% guaranteed accurate
I hope you enjoy them! Thanks for stopping by~