Light, crispy and touched with the sweetness from my favorite summer fruit!
I don't know about you but I am holding onto summer for dear life. Don't get me wrong, having a set schedule again will feel great, but for now I am embracing the freedom.
There's something about peaches that just scream summertime. Especially growing up. I loved biting into a semi-soft, sweet, juicy peach sitting on the beach in Cape Cod. My brother loved plums, I loved peaches.
I add peaches to my yogurt, salads and oatmeal, why not my scones?
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ cup unrefined sugar plus more for sprinkling on top
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 1 cup of diced peaches or dried peaches
- ½ cup plain non fat Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons almond milk or milk of choice
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Combine flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a bowl and whisk together.
- Slice butter and drop into dry ingredients. Mix sliced butter into the flour.
- Add peaches and gently stir.
- Gently mix in milk and yogurt. Eventually you’ll need to use your hands to knead the last of the flour into the dough. Since we used less butter in this recipe, you really have to work with your hands to make sure all the ingredients are mixed.
- Form dough into a circle about that’s about an inch deep all around. Cut the circle into 8 slices.
- Separate slices and place on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper or foil.
- Sprinkle the tops of the scones with a bit of raw sugar.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until light brown.
These are so simple to make. I used whole what flour and less butter than typical scones, but they still taste delicious! I hope you enjoy them too. Happy Summer!