This time of year calls for healthy, comfort food. I love making this easy Vegetable Barley Soup during the week and then having the leftovers the next day!
It's soup season and for me personally there is nothing better than a big, cozy bowl of homemade soup. This Vegetable Barley Soup is so hearty, delicious and crazy easy to make.
If you are looking for some other healthy soup recipes, you will love this Slow Cooker Thai Chicken Curried Soup, Creamy Asparagus Soup, Creamy Cauliflower Soup and definitely this Slow Cooker Ham and Cheese Cauliflower Soup!
Why You Should Make This Vegetable Barley Soup
I love a soup that you can throw everything in and just let it cook. There's no need to cook the barley or vegetables first, just throw it all in that big pot.
This soup is the ultimate comfort food, without all of the extra calories and fat. It's loaded wit vitamins, minerals and antioxidants too.
I like to make a batch on a Sunday (usually my meal prep day) and have it for lunch for the week. Super convenient and easy to reheat.
The recommend adding the spinach right at the end so it's a little bit crispy and still remains bright green in color. I don't love soggy spinach in soup.
The soup itself is vegan if you don't add the shaved Parmesan cheese at the end and you can also easily make it gluten-free by substituting quinoa or brown rice for the barley.
IF you have too many leftovers (which rarely happens it my house), this soup freezes really great too. I put the leftovers in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Easy Minestrone Soup from Lauren Kelly Nutrition
Cabbage Soup from Love and Lemons
Quinoa Vegetable Soup from Lauren Kelly Nutrition
Vegetable Barley Soup
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- ½ chopped onion
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- ½ cup pearl barley uncooked
- 1 cup sliced tomatoes
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 2 cups green beans
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 15 ounces can navy beans rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 ounces baby spinach
- shredded Parmesan cheese for topping optional and no longer vegan
- In a large stock pot, place oil, garlic and onion and cook for 3-4 minutes until translucent.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except the spinach and cook about 34-40 minutes until barley is soft.
- Stir in spinach and let cook until wilted, about a minute. Remove from heat and top with shredded Parmesan cheese if desired.