This time of year calls for healthy, comfort food. I love making easy soups during the week and then having the leftovers the next day!
I love a soup that you can throw everything in and just let it cook. Right? There's no need to cook the barley or vegetables first, just throw it all in that big pot. The only thing I do recommend is adding the spinach right at the end so it's a little bit crispy and still remains bright green in color. This is super healthy and filling as well. The soup itself is vegan if you don't add the shaved Parmesan cheese at the end and you can also easily make it gluten-free by substituting quinoa or brown rice for the barley. I like to have options.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- ½ chopped onion
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- ½ cup pearl barley uncooked
- 1 cup sliced tomatoes
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 2 cups green beans
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 1 15 ounce can navy beans rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 ounces baby spinach
- shredded Parmesan cheese for topping optional and no longer vegan
- In a large stock pot, place oil, garlic and onion and cook for 3-4 minutes until translucent.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except the spinach and cook about 34-40 minutes until barley is soft.
- Stir in spinach and let cook until wilted, about a minute. Remove from heat and top with shredded Parmesan cheese if desired.
IF you have too many leftovers (which rarely happens it my house), this soup freezes really great too. Let's try to make life easier, shall we?
I hope to share a whole bunch of easy and healthy soups in the new year! Let's make 2015 the year of easy, healthy and delicious recipes. And as luck would have it, I just so happen to have a group board on Pinterest with that name! Follow along here, there are lots of great food bloggers that contribute! 🙂
We will definitely have this soup this week!
YAY! I hope you like it! XO
Lisa @ Garnish with Lemon
We love soups this time of year! Can't wait to add this to the rotation! Happy New Year!
Thank you Lisa! Happy New Year to you!