With just 8 simple ingredients, these easy, delicious Mini Cheese Balls are grain free, keto, low carb and gluten free!
I am crazy excited to share these adorable Mini Cheese Balls with you!
I wanted to share a recipe that reflects my lifestyle. I have been eating grain free, sugar free, gluten free and low carb for several years now to prevent another stomach/intestinal blockage. Studies show that eating sugar free can help reduce, if not eliminate, inflammation in the body and inflammation is one of the factors that can contribute to the blockages.
My last surgery was almost 4 years ago so hopefully this is working!
I also feel great and have so much energy. I don't miss sugar at all and overall just feel so much better.
My family still eats a clean, healthy and balanced diet. I am the only one that eats sugar free and I do what works for my family.
There are so many delicious healthy appetizer recipes like this Spinach Artichoke Dip, Broccoli Cheese Dip, Jalapeno Poppers and these Gluten Free Spinach Quinoa Balls. All of them would even more yummy with some Spiked Apple Cider!
I don't feel restrictive eating a sugar free, gluten free diet at all. I mean look at these cheese balls...
Why You Should Make These Mini Cheese Balls
Please keep in mind that I realize most of you don't have a condition like me, but that you might be looking to REDUCE sugar, gluten and grains in your diet. Any small change is a good one so if you simply cut back on these things, you can reap the benefits.
So maybe mix some of my sugar free recipes with some of my good old clean eating recipes if that works for you. Remember, there is no one size fits all. Every body is different so you maybe have to mix it up a bit to see what works for you.
These mini cheese balls are so simple to make and perfect for the holidays. They take just a few steps and 10 minutes to prepare. Easy peasy!
I like to bring appetizers that I can eat to other parties and gatherings to ensure I have something that I can eat. These little babies don't last long, whether you are eating a low carb diet or not!
Just 8 simple ingredients are needed to make these. There's nothing crazy in here, you can easily find all of these ingredients in your local grocery store.
- Cream cheese - I always use full fat cream cheese but you can use whatever you'd like or what you have in the house. Make sure the cream cheese is at room temperature to make it easier to mix.
- Onion - I used a small yellow onion for its mild flavor.
- Bacon - I used Candian uncured bacon with no nitrates. Be sure to check your labels to make sure there is no added sugar in it.
- Cheddar cheese - I used sharp cheddar cheese because I love the flavor. I also shredded a block of cheddar cheese myself to make it even more fresh, but you can see time ad buy pre-shredded Cheddar cheese if you'd like.
- Pecans - Raw, unsalted pecans work best in this recipe but you can also use salted pecans if you'd like. Just make sure you read the ingredients if your pecans are roasted because they always add unnecessary oils and other ingredients.
How To Make These Mini Cheese Balls
In a skillet, over medium heat, cook the bacon slices for about 5 minutes until cooked through. Chop the bacon into small pieces.
In a mixing bowl with a hand mixer, mix together cream cheese, chopped onion, parsley, onion powder, and pepper. When all seasonings are well incorporated, add chopped cooked bacon and cheese.
Chill in the refrigerator for 5 minutes.
Using a medium cookie scoop (1 ½ tablespoon), scoop mixture into balls.
Roll each cheese ball in pecans until fully covered.
Place each cheese ball on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, cover with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and refrigerate overnight.
Serve with toothpicks and enjoy!
Recipe FAQ's and Expert Tips
I bet you can easily use other hard cheese or finely chopped nuts if you'd like. I'd imagine walnuts would be equally as delicious.
I like to serve these with colorful sliced vegetables to make an even prettier presentation. Think sliced red and yellow peppers, sliced carrots, cumbers and celery. Or maybe if you are trying to be festive, sliced red and green peppers! You can either just pop these right in your mouth or smear them on a sliced veggie. Either way they are simply delicious!
The most important part of making these mini cheese balls is that you must refrigerate overnight. Take them out fo the refrigerator right before you are ready to serve them.
Here are some more healthy, bite sized, healthy holiday appetizers that I thought I'd share with you:
Quinoa Spinach Artichoke Phyllo Bites from Lauren Kelly Nutrition
Herb Cheese Peppadew Sweet Peppers from Spa Bettie
Pomegranate Brie Phyllo Bites from Lauren Kelly Nutrition
Bolognese Ground Beef Stuffed Mushrooms from Cupcakes and Kale Chips
Low Carb Mini Bacon Cheese Balls
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¾ cup bacon I used Candian bacon, check labels to make sure it's sugar free
- 1 cup chedar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup pecans, finely chopped
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a skillet, over medium heat, cook the bacon slices for about 5 minutes until cooked through.
- Chop the bacon into small pieces.
- In a mixing bowl with a hand mixer, mix together cream cheese, chopped onion, parsley, onion powder, and pepper.
- When all seasonings are well incorporated, add chopped cooked bacon and cheese.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 5 minutes.
- Using a medium cookie scoop (1 ½ tablespoon), scoop mixture into balls.
- Roll each ball in chopped pecans. Refrigerate overnight.
- Serve and Enjoy!