These Spinach Phyllo Bites are simple appetizers that can be easily made ahead of time. They are so delicious they practically melt in your mouth!
The holidays are coming! The holidays are coming!
So if you are like me and Thanksgiving totally snuck up on you, I bet you have no idea what you are making either. These little bites are perfect for you because you can prepare them ahead of time.
As most of you know I am all about simplifying (especially when I am a little stressed) so these apps are just what I needed to calm me down a bit. Just a tiny bit.
I buy these adorable little phyllo cups pre-made from the grocery store which saves a ton of time. And phyllo cups are my favorite, so flaky and delicious.
They give the perfect amount of crunch, while also being light and flaky.
And thank goodness for quinoa! It adds some plant-based protein that we can all use a little more of these days.
If you are like and are always looking for new, healthy appetizer recipes, you will love this Spinach Artichoke Dip, Broccoli Cheese Dip, Jalapeño Poppers and these Gluten Free Spinach Quinoa Balls. Wouldn't they all be even more yummy with some Spiked Apple Cider? The answer is yes, most definitely.
Why You Should Make These Spinach Phyllo Bites
I am always looking for ways recipes that I can prepare before hand, just like these little bites.
The filling takes about 20 minutes to prepare and I just mixed it together in a bowl the night before and refrigerated it until I was ready to scoop in to the phyllo.
Side note: this filling is delicious enough to eat on its own. Sometimes I will make a double batch of the filling and we ate the remaining for dinner.
My husband wrapped it up in tortillas and I added leafy greens to make a salad. Talk about easy!
And I wonder why there is always leftover filling every time I make these? I mean, I love it so much so I am definitely not complaining, I just always wonder why it works out like that.
They are also bite sized and mini and adorable. I love bite sized appetizers, especially during the holidays and also for parties and gatherings.
Now don't get me wrong, I also love cheeses, nuts and dips...I pretty much love all types of appetizers. But there is just something about little poppable bites that make me happy.
And there is no guilt here since we have protein and veggies, right?
- Quinoa - Packed with all plant-based protein, quinoa is so versatile. It goes with just about any recipe and adds protein and fiber.
- Vegetable broth - I use the low sodium vegetable broth to cut back on sodium and salt.
- Spinach - You can use either frozen spinach and fresh spinach in this recipe. If you do use frozen, make sure it's completely defrosted and all of the excess water has been squeezed out.
- Artichoke hearts - I use cans of artichoke hearts and keep them in the house all the time.
- Garlic - I used yellow onion because of its strong flavor and versatility.
- Onion - Oh how I love my garlic. It adds so much flavor and depth especially when paired with onion.
- Feta cheese - Crumbled, full fat feta cheese works best in these spinach phyllo bites.
- Phyllo cups - These are so easy to find I most grocery stores, especially during the holidays.
This recipe is completely customizable to make how you like it. I've used kale instead of spinach, different cheeses and even added some chopped nuts for added texture and crunch. Go ahead, have fun and experiment with different ways to make these babies.
I bet any way you make them you will love them. You really can't go wrong with phyllo cups.
Since we are all busy when we have parties, gatherings or host holidays, I like to prepare these ahead of time up until I bake them in the oven. I simply prep, place on a baking sheet and wrap with plastic wrap or aluminum foil until ready to cook and serve.
Pomegranate Brie Phyllo Cups from Lauren Kelly Nutrition
Crispy Bacon Wrapped Parmesan Brussels Sprouts from Half Baked Harvest
Quinoa Spinach Stuffed Mushrooms from Lauren Kelly Nutrition
Vegetable Potstickers from Damn Delicious
Please feel free to follow me on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram! Thanks for stopping by!
Spinach Artichoke Quinoa Phyllo Bites
- ½ cup quinoa
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 10 ounce package frozen spinach defrosted and drained
- 1 15 ounce can of artichoke hearts drained and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ medium onion minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 30 phyllo cups
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare quinoa with vegetable broth according to the package.
- Once the quinoa is finished cooking, pour into a medium bowl.
- Add spinach, artichokes, garlic, onion, salt and feta cheese. Mix well.
- If preparing right away, scoop by spoonfuls into phyllo cups.
- If not, place in airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to prepare.
- Place in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes.
These were so delicious, I made them for a party and they were gone so fast!
This is such a unique recipe and tasted great! Making them again to munch on while we watch the Super Bowl, yum.
Loved these artichoke bites! They were perfect for game day!
katerina @ diethood.com
Oh wow, these are gorgeous!! I bet they taste amazing!!
These are so light yet very flavourful. I love the use of phyllo pastry here, very delicate with a nice crunch!
Yummy! I can't wait to give this a try! My hubby and I are going to love this recipe! Looks amazing and so delicious!
Sabrina | The Tomato Tart
This looks amazing and tasty , sounds delicious too. Great appetizer recipe.
Megan @ MegUnprocessed
That combination sounds lovely!
those are perfect in every single way!
We go through artichokes like we go through cheese in the Gaskill house. Love this fun and pretty appetizer!