Your comfort food game just got kicked up a whole lot. This Cheesy Cauliflower Bacon Pasta is healthy, simple to make and cozy delicious.
This is healthy, comfort food at its finest. Sometimes you just need a fun twist on a typical macaroni and cheese recipe.
And doesn't bacon make everything taste better?
You can add chopped sausage if you'd like or even white beans or more vegetables. It's hearty, delicious and easy.
My kids eat way too much macaroni and cheese these days. It's one of the few recipes that I will make that they will all eat its very little complaints.
So because I tend to get into food ruts, where I keep making the same recipes over and over again, I keep making my goodlier old faithful, Mac and cheese. I realize that I can spruce it up a bit and my kids might still love it as much.
I wanted to add the cauliflower for two reasons. One, it has such a mild taste that I thought I could get away with sneaking in some veggies.
Another reason I added cauliflower is strictly about appearance. I was hoping because the cauliflower is white and so light it would all blend in and no one would even notice.
Well, they noticed but the good news is that they still ate it. And loved it.
Of course I added bacon because bacon really does make everything better. Especially when you pair it with cheese and pasta.
It's the ultimate comfort food.
Remember just any bacon will not do. Make sure you get uncured, nitrate free, reduced sodium, center cut bacon.
Read the ingredients and make sure your nitrate free bacon does not contain any added sugars either. I like Applegate Farms, but there are plenty of bacon products out there that are uncured, nitrate free and do not contain any added sugar.
You always need to read the full ingredient list, not just the calories, protein, carbohydrates and fat. The ingredients are just as, if not more important.
I have had readers tell me that they made this and doubled the amount of cauliflower and cut the amount of pasta in half to cut back on carbs. They loved it. I think I will try that next time because it sounds delicious.
I always love to hear your suggestions and additions, you guys are always so creative and have great ideas. Keep them coming!
Cheesy Cauliflower Bacon and Pasta Bake
- 1 head cauliflower cut into florets
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon grapeseed oil
- ¾ cup nitrate free bacon divided
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small onion minced
- ½ cup Havarti cheese shredded
- ½ cup milk
- 1 pound whole grain pasta cooked
- ½ cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease baking dish and set aside.
- Spread cauliflower florets onto baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and grapeseed oil. Place into preheated oven and bake for 15-20 minutes until edges are light brown. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon until cooked through. Set onto paper towels to drain.
- In the same skillet, put garlic and onion and cook on low for 1-2 minutes until softened. Add cheese and milk, stirring constantly for 3-4 minutes until cheese is melted. Crumble bacon.
- Add cauliflower and ½ cup bacon and mix well.
- Add cooked pasta and thoroughly combine. Pour into prepared baking dish. Top with Parmesan cheese and remaining ¼ cup bacon.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until edges are browned.
I wanted to share some more healthier pasta recipes with you guys that I thought you might like:
Healthy Mediterranean Pasta from Well Plated
Healthy Pasta Primavera from Lauren Kelly Nutrition
Healthy One Pot Pasta Recipe from Erin Lives Whole
One Dish Salsa pasta Chicken Bake from Lauren Kelly Nutrition
Linguini with Lemon from Love and Lemons
Spicy Sriracha Chicken and Pasta from Lauren Kelly Nutrition
Healthy Pasta Recipe from iFood Real
Gluten Free Shrimp Caprese Pasta from Lauren Kelly Nutrition
If you make these Cheesy Cauliflower Bacon Pasta or any of the other recipes I have shared with you, please some back and let me know. You guys know that I love to hear from you!
I hope you enjoy these! Thank you for stopping by and please come back soon!