I am off to Miami for the BlogHer Food Conference today and I am so excited that my dear friend Robin, from Knead to Cook is going to be guest blogger for today! And boy are we lucky. Check out these Banana Oatmeal Bars, they are gluten-free and vegan too.
Robin lost over 30 pounds after incorporating a healthy, clean lifestyle. She has amazing recipes (and Robin even contributed some delicious recipes to The Greek Yogurt Cookbook!) Robin is also an avid runner and gym enthusiast and a HUGE inspiration to so many people. I just adore her. Ok, now onto this insanely yummy recipe…
Take it away Robin…
This recipe has been morphed from an old recipe that I’ve had for years to now accommodate my daughter’s newly adopted diet of being gluten and dairy free due to allergies. They turned out moist and delicious and were devoured by my whole family in rapid speed! This recipe also has no added refined sugars. This is a snack you can totally feel great about. Plus I added some extra protein to these for building or repairing muscle.
Banana Oatmeal Bars
- 2 1/3 cups of gluten free oats I used Bob’s Red Mill rolled gluten free oats
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 3-4 bananas very ripe is best
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract or paste
- 1/4 cup of unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup of maple syrup agave or honey (for vegetarian option)
- 1/4 cup of hemp hearts optional for extra protein
- 1/4-1/2 cup of vegan chocolate chips I prefer Enjoy Life – use as many as you prefer. I made half with and half without as my husband is allergic to cocoa.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray your 8×8 or 9×9 glass pan with baking spray with flour and set aside.
Into your Vitamix or food processor, add your oats and blend down until a fine powder.
Then add the flour to a bowl along with your cinnamon, soda, powder and salt. Whisk to combine.
In your stand mixer, blend your bananas, vanilla, apple sauce and maple syrup.
Then add your flour mixture and hemp hearts (optional).
Blend to combine. If using chocolate chips, add them by hand. Then pour into your prepared pan and bake 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool completely and slice. Cover in an airtight container until serving.