Simple to make with all fresh, wholesome ingredients you will love this Shrimp Ceviche all year long! Nutritious, loaded with protein, low carb and gluten free.
My family has been loving shrimp lately, it's always so versatile and easy to prepare. I like to buy pre-cooked, already deveined with the tails off to make life much simpler.
Shrimp is loaded with protein and contains very little fat. It can be used in so many dishes with a wide range of flavors.
Why You Should Make This Shrimp Ceviche
Most ceviche recipes use uncooked seafood and then allow the seafood to be "cooked" in the citrus juice. While you can absolutely do that with this recipe, I chose to use precooked shrimp to save time. You guys know I am always looking for shortcuts!
With only 4 grams of net carbs and 6 grams of protein per serving, this is light, healthy and delicious. You can serve this as a light appetizer or side dish and will be ready in 20 minutes.
- Cooked shrimp - I usually buy already cooked, frozen shrimp that is already split and deveined to make life easier.
- Lime - I always use fresh limes for their juice instead of store bought juice, it really makes a difference in taste.
- Red onion - I love these because of their mild flavor and versatility.
- Jalapeno - the firmer the peppers, the better. Make sure there are no soft spots and they are not brown.
- Roma tomato - I love these seasonal tomatoes, they are so versatile.
- Lemon juice - Again I always like to use fresh lemons instead of store bought juice.
- Cilantro - You either love or hate cilantro. If you love it (like me) then you will love the addition in this ceviche. If you hate it (ir think it tastes like soap) you can easily leave it out.
- Avocado - What can I say about my favorite fruit (yes fruit!) Although many consider avocados a vegetable, it is loaded with fiber, potassium and antioxidants.
How To Make This Shrimp Ceviche
Add all of the ingredients to a mixing bowl, and stir to combine well.
Yes, it really is that easy! You can chill for a little bit or serve immediately.
Recipe FAQ's and Expert Tips
This is best served immediately or within 24 hours, only if stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. If you do prepare it ahead of time, wait until adding the avocado until right before you serve it as they will turn brown.
This is wonderful as an appetizer served with tortilla chips, crackers or crunchy sliced vegetables (think peppers or celery). It can also be served as a meal wrapped in lettuce wraps!
It is best served chilled or at room temperature. This dish isn't meant to be heated or warmed up.
- 1 pound cooked shrimp chopped finely
- ½ lime juiced
- ¼ cup red onion chopped
- 1 jalepeno finely chopped
- 1 Roma tomato diced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- ½ avocado chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add all of the ingredients to a mixing bowl, and stir to combine well.
- Serve immediately or chill before serving.