Move over boring PB & J on white bread…your favorite sandwich just got a huge makeover!
Disclaimer: I was compensated by Dave's Killer Bread to create this recipe. However, like always, the opinions are entirely my own. Promise 🙂
Have you seen that commercial where the dad is shopping for back to school supplies, skipping down the aisles while the kids look sad and "It's The Most Wonderful Time of The Year" is playing?? It's awesome. And yes, mostly every parent out there feels that way. I know I do.
Listen, I love having my kids home and doing fun summer activities as much as the next person, but by August I am always ready for a normal routine again. My kids don't go back to school until September but I know many kids start in August. It's never too early to start thinking about lunches for back to school and if you are like me, it can get stressful.
All of my kids love PB & J, but just like anything else, that can get boring if you eat it every day. I thought this would be a great way to mix things up a bit. And boy was I right.
- Chocolate Almond Butter:
- 2 cups raw almonds
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- Strawberry Chia Jelly:
- 1 cup strawberries
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Dave's Killer Bread 21 Whole Grains and Seeds
- Place ingredients for almonds and sea salt in high speed blender or food processor.
- Blend until smooth making sure you scrape down the sides incorporating all of the mixture
- In a small saucepan,melt chocolate chips until smooth over low heat.
- Add chocolate to almond butter and blend again until combined and smooth.
- Pour into a jar or airtight container. Place in the refrigerator where it will thicken.
- Clean out blender.
- Add strawberries and chia seeds to blender and process until smooth, leaving some chunks if you desire.
- Place in a jar or airtight container and refrigerate for at least an hour to thicken.
- Place butter in grill pan and allow to heat up for a minute.
- Spread chocolate almond butter on one piece of bread and the strawberry chia jelly on the other piece of bread and place together.
- Place one side down in heated grill pan for 30-60 seconds until heated through and turn over to cook the other side.
- Serve immediately!
I used my favorite, Dave's Killer Bread for this grilled sandwich. It's organic, NON-GMO Verified, packed with protein and fiber and even omega-3-fatty acids! Why not add some nutrition your sandwich?
If you don't have the time to grill this, simply make it as a regular sandwich! It tastes great both ways, trust me, I know!
My kids loved these sandwiches with all of the chocolate almond butter oozing out of them (one of my kids even licked the plate to make sure he didn't waste any) but you don't have to put as much on each slice. Probably 1 tablespoon on each slice is enough, but I won't tell if you add more 🙂
Who else is getting ready for back to school? What are your favorite sandwiches to pack in your kids' lunch boxes? Have you tried Dave's Killer Bread yet?
Yum! This was such a yummy and easy to make HEALTHY version of pb and j. What a great flavor combo. It's our new go-to lunch... and breakfast... and snack lol. SO SO good.
This turned out so GOOD! My son said it was the best he's ever had... thank you!
I really loved the combination of flavors! It is so good!
I just made this and WOW! I am in chocolate heaven. So easy and quick to make and I love that I can make this again tomorrow. Kiddos are happy too so I guess we LOVE this recipe.
PS: Yes, it is the most wonderful time of the year, indeed.
So happy you liked it! Thanks for stopping by!