A creamy, chocolate filling layered in between two soft and light gingerbread cookies. These are perfect any time of the year, why save them just for the holidays?
So in all of my research, I realize that there are two schools of thought when it comes to gingerbread cookies. You either like them crispy or soft. There doesn’t seem to be any in between with these cookies? Or is it just me?
Me? I am soft gingerbread cookie lover. But with that being said, I wouldn’t turn down a crispy one. Let’s not get crazy!
Check out how soft these babies are…
I rolled half of the cookies in sugar but you can roll them all the way if you’d like. Or you can leave it off as well, they are sweet enough on their own. But the sugar does make them look even prettier!
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¾ unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup unrefined brown sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup dark molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- unrefined sugar for topping, optional
- Sandwich Filling:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon milk
- ⅔ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, mix butter and sugar until creamed together.
- Add applesauce, molasses and vanilla and mix again.
- Stir in the flour mixture until soft dough forms.
- Drop by spoonful onto ungreased baking sheet.
- Optional, gently sprinkle cookie dough with sugar or you can roll cookie dough balls into a bowl of sugar.
- Bake about 10 minutes in preheated oven until golden brown.
- Allow to cool on cookie sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- While cookies are cooling, mix ingredients for filling together in a small bowl.
- Once cookies have cooled, spread about 1 tablespoon of filling in between 2 cookies.
- Store in airtight container for 3-4 days (if they last that long!)
Welcome to Day 4 of Christmas Week. This annual event was started in 2012, and is hosted by Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic. This year we have over 35 bloggers sharing festive sweet recipes for the event. Plus we all chipped in for a huge Amazon Gift Card Giveaway so be sure to enter!
Participants for Christmas Week:
Recipes from Day 4 of Christmas Week! Please visit all our talented participants:
Pistachio Roca from Cravings of a Lunatic
Slow Cooker Eggnog Granola from Cupcakes and Kale Chips
Hot Cocoa Brownies from Crumb: A Food Blog
Soft Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies from Food Done Light
Cranberry Chai Tea Cookies from Farm Fresh Feasts
Chanukah Gelt Cookies from Mother Would Know
Peppermint Pinwheel Cookies from Food Lust People Love
Rocky Road Fudge by My Catholic Kitchen
Best Sugar Cookies from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Salted Caramel Chocolate Thumbprints from Mind Over Batter
Gingerbread Chocolate Sandwich Cookies from Lauren Kelly Nutrition
Habanero Orange Marmalade from Everyday Southwest
Upside Down Sticky Apple Pie from From Gate to Plate
Homemade Instant Hot Cocoa Mix from Flour on my Face
Chocolate Raspberry Walnut Rugelach from The Little Ferraro Kitchen
S’mores Hot Chocolate from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
And of course these soft Gingerbread Chocolate Sandwich Cookies from your truly!
Don’t forget to enter this AMAZING giveaway too!