I am always looking for easy meals that I can put together in under 30 minutes. This baked ziti can also be prepared ahead of time and placed in the refrigerator and reheated for 15 minutes before serving!
I know I might not be in the majority, but I don't love all that cheese that go in traditional baked ziti.
You know what I'm talking about, soft cheese, like ricotta? And by the way, I am Italian too.
I absolutely do no like it and I never will. I hate the soft, gushy texture and everything else that goes with it.
Why You Should Make This Easy Baked Ziti
This ziti is so easy, mainly because it only uses shredded mozzarella for cheese. Oh and maybe some grated Parmesan for topping, but that's it.
I have never liked any soft cheeses EVER. But ricotta and cottage cheese are on the top of my list for cheese I despise.
Maybe it's the lumps? Of course it has to be the lumps...
I make this all the time for my family and prepare it ahead of time and place it in the refrigerator until it's ready to cook. It doesn't get much easier than this.
- Pasta- I usually use rigatoni because it is larger and more substantial, but you can use whatever pasta you'd like or have in the house.
- Ground turkey- You can also use ground beef or ground chicken in this baked ziti recipe.
- Crushed Tomatoes- I like to use these crushed tomatoes in an eco-friendly carton but you can use whatever ones you like or find in the grocery store.
- Tomato Sauce- I love to use this marinara sauce because there is no added sugar and it tastes the most like homemade suace!
- salt and pepper
- Mozzarella cheese- I personally buy whole milk blocks of mozzarella cheese and shred it myself using this shredder but you can also buy pre-shred cheese.
- Parmesan cheese- I use fresh grated Parmesan cheese in this recipe because it offers a better taste and texture.
How To Make This Easy Baked Ziti
This really is super easy to make. Simply cook the pasta according to the instructions on the package, drain and set aside.
Brown the ground meat with oil, onions and garlic.
Add crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper. Stir well and bring to a boil.
Simmer until done and spoon the meat into the remaining sauce. Add pasta to meat sauce and mix well.
Top with desired cheese and bake!
I told you it was ridiculously easy, but it's one of those recipes that everyone loves and it looks like you spent a long time preparing.
Recipe FAQ's and Expert Tips
Some people cover it before placing it in the oven, but I keep it super easy and cook it uncovered.
I like to pour half the pasta/meat mixture in the casserole dish and then top with half of the shredded cheese, then pour the remaining mixture and top with the rest of the shredded mozzarella to prevent the dish from drying out.
If you are cooking the baked ziti coming right out of the refrigerator, you might want to cook for an additional 10 minutes or so until all the cheese has melted and top is lightly browned.
The Easiest Baked Ziti
- 1 pound pasta of choice
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground basil
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese for topping optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add pasta, and cook for 7 minutes until al dente.
- In a medium skillet, add the ground turkey. Cook for 15 minutes until no longer pink and thoroughly cooked. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, add the oil. Cook the onion and garlic over medium-high heat for 3–4 minutes until soft. Add crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper. Stir well and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes, making sure to stir every few minutes so the sauce doesn’t stick. Spoon some sauce into a 21⁄2-quart casserole dish so the bottom is covered (to ensure the pasta won’t stick to the bottom). Take 1 cup of sauce mixture and set aside. Spoon the meat into the remaining sauce.
- Add pasta to meat sauce and mix well.
- Add mozzarella cheese, mix again. Sprinkle the top with Parmesan cheese.
- Cover loosely with aluminum foil to prevent drying and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the aluminum foil and continue to bake another 10 minutes until the cheese has melted. Let sit for 10 minutes, and serve with the reserved cup of sauce.