Lightened up added protein and healthy fats, these delicious Pistachio Cookies will be your favorite all year long!
I love Christmas cookies and each year I bake dozens and dozens (and dozens) of cookies. This year, these will definitely be part of the rotation, and straight out of my new cookbook, The Greek Yogurt Cookbook!
These Pistachio Cookies have a secret ingredient. Please don't be scared when I tell you what the secret ingredient is. I promise you can't even taste it.
The secret ingredient is... AVOCADO! Avocado gives a creamy texture and a beautiful and festive green color. Avocados are packed with so many health benefits.
If you are looking for some other healthy cookies recipes, you will love these Low Carb Iced Sugar Cookies, Chocolate Chip Zucchini Cookies, Almond Flour Thumbprint Cookies, Peppermint Crunch Cookies and definitely these Sugar Free Chocolate Brownie Cookies!
Don’t let the green color scare you! Avocado makes a wonderful substitute for butter. Its creamy texture creates light, cake-like cookies. Avocados are loaded with heart- healthy unsaturated fats, vitamins, minerals, fiber, and protein.
The part of the avocado that is closest to the skin is the most packed with nutrients, so be sure to scrape the insides to take advantage of these nutritional benefits.
I hope you love these cookies as much as I do! You can buy The Greek Yogurt Cookbook in all major bookstores such as Amazon and Barnes & Noble. I am also selling them from my blog if you are interested in purchasing a signed copy. It makes a fantastic holiday gift.
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup ground flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup butter at room temperature
- ½ cup ripe avocado mashed
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup unrefined sugar
- ½ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1¾ cups chopped pistachios
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flours, flaxseed, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Mix well and set aside.
- In another medium bowl, cream the butter, avocado and sugars together until smooth.
- Add the Greek yogurt, vanilla, and egg. Mix well.
- Add the flour mixture 1 cup at a time to the Greek yogurt combination. Mix until combined; do not overmix.
- Fold in the pistachios. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto an ungreased nonstick baking tray.
- Bake for 12–15 minutes until the tops are golden brown.
- Cool on the tray for 5 minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.