These bars are lightened up slightly and are every bit a perfect summer treat!
Let me start off by saying, everyone in the house LOVED these bars.
I have already disclosed this many times, but here it goes again.
I do not like cheesecake. At all. Not even a little.
The reason? I don't like cream cheese. I don't like the taste, the smell, the texture...
But that's why I like these bars, because I cut that cream-cheese-smell-and-taste with Greek yogurt. I mean, I did write an entire cookbook dedicated to Greek yogurt, why not add some to these bars and lighten them up a bit? And get rid of that smell almost entirely? Come on, you know that smell!
These were very easy to make and even better that you don't have to turn on the oven! You know that's really important on those ridiculously hot and humid summer days. But they will still be just as easy when it's 10 degrees and freezing. But let's not wish away summer just yet...
Two of my kids were so sad I was leaving for Chicago so yes, I did bribe them with another batch of these. No judgements please...you gotta do what you gotta do...
By the way, my trip was amazing and I can't wait to share more with you later. Oh how I love you Chicago...
Ok, now onto the recipe. Yes, there is sugar in here and yes, I did use graham cracker crumbs. These aren't my healthiest treats I have ever made, I am quite aware of that. Please don't yell at me, I wanted these to really taste like real cheesecake for all of my avid lovers out there. I used whole wheat graham crackers so LEAVE ME ALONE! I am half kidding, you should see some of the emails I get...
- For the crust:
- 14 whole wheat graham crackershalves
- ½ cup ground flaxseed
- 2 tablespoons unrefined sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup coconut oil melted (can also use melted butter)
- For the Cheesecake:
- 1 8 ounce package cream cheese left at room temperature
- 6 ounces plain Greek yogurt
- juice from one lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup unrefined sugar
- Prepare crust by mixing all the ingredients together in a medium bowl.
- Press down evenly in a greased 8 x 8 inch pan until evenly spread.
- Place in the refrigerator to set for at least an hour.
- Place cream cheese and Greek yogurt in a medium size bowl and beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add vanilla, lemon juice and sugar and beat again until smooth.
- Pour over crust and refrigerate again for at least 4-6 hours until completely set.
- Slice into 9-12 bars.
These bars need to stay in the refrigerator or they get soft. That's why my pictures aren't the best, I was taking so long to style and take pictures and they got soft. Womp-womp...
If you like these, then check out some more cheesecake recipes!
Cheesecake with Ginger Snap Crust
Mini Mint Chocolate Cheesecakes
I love this healthier version of cheesecake, the recipe was a huge hit at home! We can now enjoy more cheesecake bars without feeling a lot of guilt! Thank you for sharing this recipe with us.
Dee-licious!! I had a hard time finding whole wheat graham crackers but finally did. Thanks for the recipe! The kids loved it.
these cheesecake bars are to die for! thank you for sharing this recipe