A creamy, chocolate filling layered in between two soft and light gingerbread cookies. These are perfect any time of the year, why save them just for the holidays?
So in all of my research, I realize that there are two schools of thought when it comes to gingerbread cookies. You either like them crispy or soft.
There doesn’t seem to be any in between with these cookies? Or is it just me?
Me? I am soft gingerbread cookie lover. But with that being said, I wouldn’t turn down a crispy one.
Let’s not get crazy!
Check out how soft these babies are…
I rolled half of the cookies in sugar but you can roll them all the way if you’d like.
Or you can leave it off as well, they are sweet enough on their own. But the sugar does make them look even prettier!
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 cup unrefined brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup dark molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- unrefined sugar for topping optional
- Sandwich Filling:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, mix butter and sugar until creamed together.
- Add applesauce, molasses and vanilla and mix again.
- Stir in the flour mixture until soft dough forms.
- Drop by spoonful onto ungreased baking sheet.
- Optional, gently sprinkle cookie dough with sugar or you can roll cookie dough balls into a bowl of sugar.
- Bake about 10 minutes in preheated oven until golden brown.
- Allow to cool on cookie sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- While cookies are cooling, mix ingredients for filling together in a small bowl.
- Once cookies have cooled, spread about 1 tablespoon of filling in between 2 cookies.
- Store in airtight container for 3-4 days (if they last that long!)
Please come back and let me know if you made any of them. I love hearing from you!
Thanks for stopping by!