It’s time to get creative and think outside the box when it comes to salsa! This one is lightly sweet, refreshing and a huge crowd pleaser. It’s perfect for your next barbecue or cookout.
Before I start talking about how much I love this salsa, I wanted to take a moment and thank you all for your kind words and support after I shared the news of my melanoma diagnosis. Thank you for your prayers and positive thoughts and for sharing your similar experiences with me. It means the world to me to have all of your support. I am beyond thankful for all of you. Every single one!
I spent the weekend in Chicago with some of my favorite food blogger friends at a wonderful conference called, Eat Write Retreat. It was amazing to connect with such passionate and talented bloggers. I love that I have made some true friends that I always love spending time with. My little guys missed me and I missed them and now it’s back to reality. I went back to the doctor today and had my stitches removed. I wasn’t surprised that my incision became infected. It’s really difficult to keep a large incision “rested” when it’s on your belly and you are traveling. Oh well. The good news is the pathology report came back clear and my margins are clean! So I will have (another) gross scar on my belly. I am healthy and have a lot to be thankful for.
Now let’s talk about this salsa. How ridiculously adorable is that little watermelon bowl? I know! This has a great presentation and I should know, I have already brought it to several summer parties. It looks fancy, but it really isn’t. I love when that happens.
I must be on a watermelon/mint kick these days because I make my Watermelon Mint Slush 3-4 times a week. It is my favorite combination these days. It’s so refreshing and has the perfect amount of (natural) sweetness. I make my Tropical Fruit Salsa from The Everything Wheat-Free Diet Cookbook very often (on page 173 to be exact) but I wanted to try another fruity version of salsa this time. I am in love!
- 1 small personal size watermelon
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons onion, minced
- 3 tablespoons lime
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- ½ large bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
- 1 tablespoon jalapeño, seeded and minced
- salt to taste
- Scoop out watermelon and chop into bite size pieces.
- Place in colander with a bowl underneath it to save all the juice.
- Place in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next day, mix all the ingredients in a medium bowl and put back into the refrigerator for at least an hour to combine flavors.
- When ready to serve, place into watermelon bowl and serve cold.
I hope you enjoy this as much as we did! It’s perfect for the 4th of July!