With Valentine’s day coming up soon, why not make a dessert that’s healthier, vegan, gluten free AND still tastes crazy delicious?
I am all for giving your sweetheart something sweet for Valentine’s Day, but why not make them a little healthier? There’s something about Valentine’s Day and salted caramel. Maybe it reminds me of when my dad would give me those chocolates in the heart shape every year and the only one I would eat (and not spit out) was the chocolate caramel! These are ooey-gooey and taste sinful even if they are packed with fiber, antioxidants and healthy fats. No one has to know, it’ll be our secret. And add the fact that these babies are no bake? This just got real guys. I am so excited about these!
Check out this fun video which shows how easy these are to make!
- For the crust:
- ½ cup almond flour, I used Bob's Red Mill
- ¼ cup flax meal or ground flax
- 2 tablespoons dark cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons 100% pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil, melted
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- For the caramel:
- ⅓ cup unrefined sugar
- ¼ cup coconut cream
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- For the Topping:
- 10 ounces dark chocolate chips
- Place parchment paper on the bottom of a 9 x 9 inch baking pan. Spray with baking spray on top of parchment paper.
- Mix all of the ingredients together to make the crust.
- Press crust onto bottom of the pan. Place in the refrigerator while you make the caramel.
- Mix all the ingredients for the caramel together in a small saucepan over a low heat.
- Stir continuously while it thickens, about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Pour caramel ontop of chocolate crust.
- Melt chocolate chips in the microwave or in a sauce pan over low heat. Pour on top of caramel sauce.
- Place in the refrigerator for at least an hour to harden.
- Cut into 9 bars. Eat immediately and store leftovers in an air tight container in the refrigerator.
Serving Size 1 bar
Amount Per Serving
Calories 214 Calories from Fat 122
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 13.5g21%
Saturated Fat 7.2g36%
Trans Fat 0.0g
Total Carbohydrates 26.6g9%
Dietary Fiber 2.3g9%
*Nutrition information not guaranteed, provided by www.caloriecount.com
If you like these (can’t blame you) you just might like these too:
I hope you enjoy these Salted Carmel Dark Chocolate Bars too! I can’t wait to make them again for all 4 of my sweeties 🙂 What’s your favorite treat for Valentine’s Day?