If you are like me and you love key lime pie, these muffins are for you. I am so tired of this awful, cold winter that I wanted to make something to remind me of the spring and summer. These muffins are so delicious that they could also be a dessert. Just saying.
- 1½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ¼ cup unrefined sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup raw honey
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 large organic eggs, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup avocado, mashed
- 2 teaspoons grated key lime zest
- ¼ cup fresh key lime juice
- For the Glaze:
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh key lime juice
- 1 teaspoon key lime zest
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease muffin tins with coconut oil or organic butter.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a smaller bowl, mix together raw honey, Greek yogurt, eggs, avocado, zest and lime juice.
- Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients. Stir to combine, be careful not to over mix.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin tins.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and toothpick comes out clean when placed in center of muffin.
- While muffins are baking, place powdered sugar, lime juice and zest in a small bowl and mix well.
- Allow to cool in muffin tin for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- When cooled, spoon glazed onto each muffin.
If you like it more limey (is that a word?) then you can always add more lime juice. It’s super important to use FRESH key lime juice though. It will be worth it. I promise.
You can also top these with unsweetened shredded coconut if you’d like. That will make them more tropical, which I think we can all use now. The glaze on these muffins is AMAZING!!
I hope you enjoy these~