These are outrageous. I pretty much love any type of baked good with crumb topping. And these are no exception.
Blueberry Crumb Muffins
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sucanat or turbinado sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup reduced fat buttermilk
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Crumb Topping:
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons organic butter or coconut oil *ROOM TEMPERATURE*
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line muffin tin with liners or grease pans with coconut oil.
In a large bowl, combine flours, sugar, salt and baking powder.
In a separate bowl, mix applesauce, egg, vanilla and buttermilk. Add this mixture to flour mixture. *DO NOT OVERMIX! Muffins will be tough and won't rise.*
Fold in blueberries. Fill muffin tins to the top.
Make crumb topping: Mix ingredients with a fork and sprinkle over muffins before baking.
Bake in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes then transfer to cooling rack.
Makes 12 regular sized muffins or 8 large muffins.
I hope you love these as much as we did. They aren’t low calories, but they are made with REAL ingredients and are perfect for an occasional indulgence. Happy baking!